Introduction

ChickedyCoq

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Provence, France
Hi, I joined today after searching for information on chickens. I have ordered a poulailler (chicken coop) here in France and will probably take delivery next week. We have a large garden but because we grow fruits and vegetables we don't want our chickens to have full free range everyday. We'll start with 2 chickens.

I intend to raise organic chickens who feed not only on organic feed but also guaranteed no GMO. We also intend to get a rooster, apparently the eggs taste better fertilised!

Another reason we are getting chickens is because I like the whole farmyard idea and it will be great fun for our daughter and her friends too.

I need advice on which type of chicken has the best character, to be touched and petted from time to time.

I look forward to sharing my experience and gaining knowledge from those here who have experience with backyard chickens of their own.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock? Most chickens can be tamed and the way to their hearts is food. I started my chicken journey with red sex links or warrens as they are called over here in the UK. They were excellent egg layers and became quite tame too, you could easily pet and stroke them.

With only getting two hens I would hold off on getting a roo for now. The eggs will still taste just as delicious without a roo. The usual ratio for hens to roo is 8-10 hens per roo. This will stop overbreeding of your hens as the roo can sometimes damage the hens when he mates with them.

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC, I am sure you will everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Hello and Welcome to BYC! So glad to have you! Wow, you live in France? Some of my favorite breeds come from there! You got some great advise from @Yorkshire coop. Some of my favorite breeds are Marans, Sexlinks, Wyandottes, Dominiques, and Easter Eggers. If you want to keep a rooster with so few hens, I suggest you get a bantam rooster, it will still be able to mate with the hens, but he will be to small to hurt them. Enjoy your future flock!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I'll post updates as things progress, getting very excited. I like the idea of Marans so I was thinking one Maran and one Warren... I also like the idea of a bantam rooster. It is my husband's insistence to get the rooster, being French and all... A rooster is their unofficial national emblem! The rooster in the photo on my avatar I took in Mauritius, it was roaming freely around the carpark of the restaurant, keeping an eye on his hens.

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Yorkshire Coop has given you some excellent advice! Good luck with your future flock of chickens. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
smile.png

I need advice on which type of chicken has the best character, to be touched and petted from time to time.
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I don't know what breeds you have available in France, but breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (potential lap pets) include Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Silkies, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom