Invincible micro bugs on young chicken

Alex7174

Chirping
Apr 3, 2015
Manchester Georgia
Hi, I tend to give all my chickies a once over every few days to make sure I catch anything going wrong quickly and I noticed the other day that my young 5 1/2 month ones (2 buff orpingtons and a golden comet) had these micro lice looking things. And holy nuggets are they TINY! I've had to deal with regular sized chicken life before and so I know they're not the same. Most of the time you have to hold veeeeerrrrryyyyy still to see them moving. I had these pop up once before a couple months ago and tried seven dust but no joy and the little pullet they were on passed soon after due to other reasons and none of the others had them so I had to let it go but now they're back. I've tried seven dust and I've tried Adams flea and tick shampoo but neither come anywhere close to even touching them........would've thought that just haveing them in the water for the shampoo bath would have at least drowned the micro buggers but noooooooo that's too easy........*sigh* after the flea and tick bath the bugs seem to have gone into hyperdrive and I was able to catch a decent video so that you could see what I mean. The one in the video is Trick one of the buffs and he has it the worst as you'll see. I put the video up in YouTube since that's what everyone seems to say is the only way to get it on here. Hope it works. Thank you for any and all suggestions!!!!!!

[VIDEO]

Oh and just to give you an idea on how big Trick is~

Last edited:
Mites... I use Ivermectin/Ivomec Pour on, 1/2cc(ml) for medium birds, 1/4cc(ml) for bantams and 3/4cc(ml) for large birds...

ETA and you'll need to clean the entire coop out...

Last edited:
Mites... I use Ivermectin/Ivomec Pour on, 1/2cc(ml) for medium birds, 1/4cc(ml) for bantams and 3/4cc(ml) for large birds...

ETA and you'll need to clean the entire coop out...

Thank you!! Are you sure they're mites though??? I thought mites didn't stay on them but would leave?? Sorry if I'm asking silly questions...just making sure I know all my facts so I don't have this happen again you know? I also thought mites were dark and roundish like tiny ticks.... I know some of these look dark all over but I think it's only their heads or something......so hard to see on white skin -_- almost wish they had dark skin like my Silkie boys lol

Back
Top Bottom