Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Its like trying to get a picture of popcorn as its popping lol

We can look into the incubator window and see some pips...then check on it in 20 mins and there are five chicks chirping in there. These babies will try to fly out of the brooder when they are hours old. Such alert and active breed :) Here is a photo of a hatch we just sent to a happy customer. You can see the overly white Iowa in this photo that is a result of the columbian gene showing up in our attempts to hatch more chestnut color down chicks (indicative of charcoal coloring). What is super amazing is ALL of these chicks will have pencilled feathers in various shades :)
Double A Acres hatch 2019.jpg

We can look into the incubator window and see some pips...then check on it in 20 mins and there are five chicks chirping in there. These babies will try to fly out of the brooder when they are hours old. Such alert and active breed :) Here is a photo of a hatch we just sent to a happy customer. You can see the overly white Iowa in this photo that is a result of the columbian gene showing up in our attempts to hatch more chestnut color down chicks (indicative of charcoal coloring). What is super amazing is ALL of these chicks will have pencilled feathers in various shades :)
View attachment 1755085

Its amazing how chicks with down color SO different mature to be such similar adults.

Here is Fivewire Farm Iowa first hatch of the season. Most of these are for a customer order and heading to Iowa, but we are happy with the predominance of chestnut color chick down as that is what we are personally breeding for. Chestnut color chick down is representative of the Charcoal color variety of Iowa Blue. We still get a couple of silvers here and there plus some oddball colors as well :)View attachment 1739197
Late to this party, but I just the love the look and sound of these birds. Is there much of a difference in adult charcoal coloration as opposed to the silver?

Late to this party, but I just the love the look and sound of these birds. Is there much of a difference in adult charcoal coloration as opposed to the silver?
There is never a "late" to an Iowa party :) Yes, the charcoal is darker gray overall, not black for the base color as in Silver. What makes the charcoal coloring in the hen mainly is how it appears to be "blue" when looking at them in the distance. With silver and the base being black, you don't get much of a "blue" hue. However, charcoal is difficult to breed whereas silver you can breed 100 percent of the time due to it being recessive as a base coloration. Charcoal we are getting about 50 percent of the time, with silver 25 percent and other colors like heavy birchen gene influence (darker charcoal) or lighter columbian gene influence (whiter silvers/possibly light smokey). I am not a geneticist, but the best I can try to explain :).
They are wonderful landrace birds and I am glad to be a part of their salvation.

There is never a "late" to an Iowa party :) Yes, the charcoal is darker gray overall, not black for the base color as in Silver. What makes the charcoal coloring in the hen mainly is how it appears to be "blue" when looking at them in the distance. With silver and the base being black, you don't get much of a "blue" hue. However, charcoal is difficult to breed whereas silver you can breed 100 percent of the time due to it being recessive as a base coloration. Charcoal we are getting about 50 percent of the time, with silver 25 percent and other colors like heavy birchen gene influence (darker charcoal) or lighter columbian gene influence (whiter silvers/possibly light smokey). I am not a geneticist, but the best I can try to explain :).
They are wonderful landrace birds and I am glad to be a part of their salvation.
So cool — Landrace birds are where it's at. I've already picked Gray Farm's brain about them. They will be the next breed I add to my flock. I may add them later this year or early next.
Are you still in the business of shipping chicks? I'd love to have options other than Ideal.

So cool — Landrace birds are where it's at. I've already picked Gray Farm's brain about them. They will be the next breed I add to my flock. I may add them later this year or early next.
Are you still in the business of shipping chicks? I'd love to have options other than Ideal.

Yes we do ship our chicks also hatching eggs. If you want quality stock, using a breeder is always the best choice over a hatchery.

Yes we do ship our chicks also hatching eggs. If you want quality stock, using a breeder is always the best choice over a hatchery.
Awesome. I have a lot of chicks right now, but the plan is to add the Iowa Blues either later this year or as early as possible next year. How late into the year do you ship live chicks?

Awesome. I have a lot of chicks right now, but the plan is to add the Iowa Blues either later this year or as early as possible next year. How late into the year do you ship live chicks?

We hatch according to fertility. Usually the fertility increases here in Michigan around March for April hatch... they slow down laying in October. We do not use any artificial light or added heat in the coops. We hatch to order with more than 25 in a shipment and no less than 12.

We hatch according to fertility. Usually the fertility increases here in Michigan around March for April hatch... they slow down laying in October. We do not use any artificial light or added heat in the coops. We hatch to order with more than 25 in a shipment and no less than 12.
I'm thinking next spring ought to be perfect in regards to timing. I'll PM you for more information. Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom