Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Pics
Thanks for all that historical info in the archive. I really enjoyed reading it and it makes me even more excited about the breed. Where do you think the yellow chicks with brown striping came from?

This is my speculation and I'll let others like Connie and Kari critique/correct my thoughts. Because the breed is a silver penciled "offshoot" so to speak, I think the lighter colored chicks are part of that silver penciled pattern. (similar, to say, a silver leghorn (although they should NOT look like silver leghorn chicks, just giving an example)) We know that eb plays a large part in the brown colored chicks, and my speculation is that the super solid chocolate chicks and the pheasant looking, striped chicks are just to extremes of the modifier expression.

Now, that is my speculation, so take it with a grain of salt. Connie, Kari, what are your thoughts on this?

We also know that the chocolate colored chicks (solid preferred, mottled acceptable) should be the down color to aim for in our silver penciled chicks. For some reason, as yet unkown, the old breeders preferred the chocolate chicks to the pheasant looking chicks. Maybe in time we'll figure out why.

Ordering 10 IB chicks from Sandhill. Will be getting them in late May....oh the suspense....
Hoping I'll get some good breeding quality birds out of the order
smile.png

You should get a few nice brown colored chicks, which should add nicely to your silver pullet. :)

Don't forget that Iowa Blues are susceptable to Laryngotracheitis! I would highly recommend everyone vaccinate their flocks for this until we've been able to breed in immunity to this disease. We don't want quality flocks getting wiped out. There are vaccines available that you put into the water so it's easy.

I'm not a fan of vaccinating birds, actually down right hate it. However, I think this is an exception I can make until we can develop resistant strains.

Don't let that discourage you from the breed. It adds to the challenge! :)

Hey guys I have been lurking a bit just waiting for my little flock of IB's to grow out a bit. They have changed a lot in the short time. I have been rather busy building a new bator as well, fired it up tonight got it tweaked about where I need it. This side by side layout is so sweet compared to the stacked trays I had in the old pepsi cooler. Trying to reach back in there when needed was driving me nuts. This should make candling a breeze even with my fumble fingers.

Nice!

I'm so fed up with my little incubators and the inherent woes within. Think my project this summer (besides finishing some breeding runs, and some grow out pens) will be to build a nice big, well insulated, cabinet incubator with digital controls.

Hey guys I have been lurking a bit just waiting for my little flock of IB's to grow out a bit. They have changed a lot in the short time. I have been rather busy building a new bator as well, fired it up tonight got it tweaked about where I need it. This side by side layout is so sweet compared to the stacked trays I had in the old pepsi cooler. Trying to reach back in there when needed was driving me nuts. This should make candling a breeze even with my fumble fingers.

That's beautiful!

This is my speculation and I'll let others like Connie and Kari critique/correct my thoughts. Because the breed is a silver penciled "offshoot" so to speak, I think the lighter colored chicks are part of that silver penciled pattern. (similar, to say, a silver leghorn (although they should NOT look like silver leghorn chicks, just giving an example)) We know that eb plays a large part in the brown colored chicks, and my speculation is that the super solid chocolate chicks and the pheasant looking, striped chicks are just to extremes of the modifier expression.

Now, that is my speculation, so take it with a grain of salt. Connie, Kari, what are your thoughts on this?

We also know that the chocolate colored chicks (solid preferred, mottled acceptable) should be the down color to aim for in our silver penciled chicks. For some reason, as yet unkown, the old breeders preferred the chocolate chicks to the pheasant looking chicks. Maybe in time we'll figure out why.
My yellow chicks are turning into a very light version of the chocolate chicks. Pure silverery white on head, neck and center of breast. Although maybe they are lighter than the ideal, they are gorgeous! I think they will benefit my breeding program at least.

I did order ILT vaccine, though not happy about it either. Plan to vaccinate my older chicks tonight. Hope that's OK, Connie.

Back
Top Bottom