Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Birchen variety, I'd say cockerel, too. Comb/wattle development and the lacing over the back. I've not yet had a birchen pullet get lacing over the back/saddle area.

Hello everyone! I got one Iowa Blue in my batch of chicks this year and it turned out to be a cockerel... I went to let them out of the hen house this morning and he started trying to crow. Does anyone know of any breeders or farms in the state of Washington looking for a rooster? Knowing the state of this breed I really don't want to give him to someone who is just going to eat him.

The lacing looks as expected for a young cockerel. In my opinion, the more the better is a plus at this time as we are working towards a heavily laced bird. It's so hard to tell in the teenagers how they will turn out, they change so much!

Connie-

FANTASTIC JOB ON OUR WEBSITE! You never cease to amaze me! We are so increadably blessed to have you as our secretary! Also, I LOVE your website!!! This is exactly the thing we need to get our breed moving. Keep up that great work.

I've got 25 eggs due to hatch next monday............whoot whoot!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I'm providing all the hatching eggs this year for the hatching nursery at the CA State Fair. I've been setting 7 eggs per day (they'd like to see 4-5 eggs hatch each day for the public to watch). I've been trying to give them a variety of shells and chick appearance. In yesterday's set I included a few Iowa Blue eggs. We get 100-200 exhibitors each year (including Walt,
wink.png
) and about 900,000+ members of the public come through during the 18 day run of the fair.

You're a busy gal Deb!!! What a neat opportunity to expose the public and potentially other breeders to the Iowa Blue. Sounds like you'll be able to impact a huge number of people!!! Is there a location next to the chicks while they hatch to put up a little breed information? That way people can learn more about the breeds that are hatching? May be an opportunity to put in a little plug for the ol' Blue.
big_smile.png

You're a busy gal Deb!!! What a neat opportunity to expose the public and potentially other breeders to the Iowa Blue. Sounds like you'll be able to impact a huge number of people!!! Is there a location next to the chicks while they hatch to put up a little breed information? That way people can learn more about the breeds that are hatching? May be an opportunity to put in a little plug for the ol' Blue.
big_smile.png
There is always an information table and the fair is very good about providing signage (they of course have their own sign shop). I can get them to put up a sign of breeds hatching and they can print an informational flyer on the breeds.

I'm going to be overseeing the youth show and judging the poultry portion of master showmanship, so I'll have a chance to expose people to the breed.

Back
Top Bottom