Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

There is always an information table and the fair is very good about providing signage (they of course have their own sign shop). I can get them to put up a sign of breeds hatching and they can print an informational flyer on the breeds.

I'm going to be overseeing the youth show and judging the poultry portion of master showmanship, so I'll have a chance to expose people to the breed.
Deb.....gonna have any "East Coast Rocks" there too (sorry to interrupt the regular schedule programming!) Let Walt know where those came from....he's been helping me along a bit too. There is also a guy in Wash St that needs a more local source than me to get some birds

Looking forward to trying my hand at the IBs this Fall

Thanks....now back to the "appropriate thread content"

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I entered a pair!
big_smile.png
They're still a bit young to be competitive, but I wanted to start getting them out there. I'm all about promoting the underdog breeds/varieties.
cool.png
The cockerel still needs to fill out his tail feathers and they both need to molt out a bit cleaner, but that will come with time. I will talk to Walt about them, I know him fairly well, since my son was showing poultry in the late 80's. We generally chat for at least a few minutes at the shows.

As a matter of fact, I entered a pair!
big_smile.png
They're still a bit young to be competitive, but I wanted to start getting them out there. I'm all about promoting the underdog breeds/varieties.
cool.png
The cockerel still needs to fill out his tail feathers and they both need to molt out a bit cleaner, but that will come with time. I will talk to Walt about them, I know him fairly well, since my son was showing poultry in the late 80's. We generally chat for at least a few minutes at the shows.
I just posted a few pix on the Heritage Thread....gotta cull some cockerels this weekend. I have 13 and need to get down to around 4-5. Several are HUGE. One is just past 9lbs at 6 months

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/12870#post_11499362

OK. This is my Iowa Blue. It started trying to crow and everything in my bones said, "Great, now three of our pullets turned out to be male. " But I thought I would throw it's picture up here and get a confirmation from you Iowa Blue experts.. Looks pretty similar to my Delaware cockerel, right? The 1% of doubt I have came from a farmer I talked to who said sometimes pullets will try to crow too.. This guy is about 7 weeks and is fairly aggressive with the other birds.

OK. This is my Iowa Blue. It started trying to crow and everything in my bones said, "Great, now three of our pullets turned out to be male. " But I thought I would throw it's picture up here and get a confirmation from you Iowa Blue experts.. Looks pretty similar to my Delaware cockerel, right? The 1% of doubt I have came from a farmer I talked to who said sometimes pullets will try to crow too.. This guy is about 7 weeks and is fairly aggressive with the other birds.

He is a handsome boy
roll.png

That's what I thought... I can't believe I didn't notice until he started trying to crow. I guess I was focusing too much of my attention on the Delaware. Man. Now I gotta figure out to do with these boys.

Back
Top Bottom