Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Dirt Farmer,

I think our breed club has accomplished for the Iowa Blue what was really lacking in the years past. Primarily, breed history. Once this history was put together, it really put an end to the bulk of 'dissention' that had surrounded the breed for decades. Because the history was absent, people were breeding these birds to look however they felt they should look and this definitely caused a lot of confusion and in the early 2000's was the source of threats to peoples families believe it or not. Everyone at that time was spending all their time trying to argue why their version of the breed was the real deal instead of investigating the history of the breed and documents eye witness accounts from people familiar with the breed before they passed away.

In early 2013 on behalf of the breed club we decided to stop the Standard process and seek to learn. As we did this we began to unfurl the breed's history with news articles, pictures, and eye witness accounts. Once this was plastered on the website for all the world to witness, the massive friction that had existed began to melt away. Yes there are still a few people who say things like "the breed club is destroying the breed", however, these people aren't part of the breed club, aren't getting active to help generate change, and they don't have the history on their side. We let the facts speak for themselves, and let the chips fall where they may.

The members of our club have two distinct areas where they really excel; 1) The best interest of the breed trumps their own personal best interests. This is a big one, lots of individuals like to get involved with a rare breed so that they can become the expert and live in the limelight. Our members aren't like that at all. Everyone is committed to the preservation and seeing this breed restored to its original type and breed characteristics. I first experienced this when the breed club was working on setting up a Standard for the Birchen for proposal to the APA. I reached out and said, let's take a couple weeks to investigate the breeds history because that's not what I remembered them looking like when I had them in the past. EVERY member of the Committee said, ok, and when the history revealed that the original Iowa Blue looked very different than what most of them had in their flocks, they all said, 'well, now that we know the history, that is the direction we're going to move in, even if that means I have to completely shift my breeding pens to something different than what I currently have'. How many breed clubs can claim to have such dedicated members that they are willing to put the breed's interest over their own?? NOT VERY MANY. In fact I haven't come across this anywhere else....yet.
2) Most of our members are new to chicken clubs and in some cases new to chickens. This has allowed our membership to come to the club without preconceived 'ideas' of how a breed club is supposed to operate. In my experience, long established breed clubs that I've been a part of have such a wild political atmosphere that it's often times toxic to new comers. Our members have a lot of energy, excitement, and ideas and our goal with the club is to give a place where this energy and ideas can flourish and thrive. We've had a couple of bumps along the way, and I've learned a lot through those processes as have others. We've got a group of really neat and gifted people, and I really enjoy watching our members as they get active with the breed and use their skills to help the breed. Each of us has different skills and we need a huge variety of skills to make this club as successful as it is.

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea. Looks like your hard work provided a basis for a rational discussion. As a newcomer my experience has been entirely positive. I have one pullet and one cockerel that I received by chance and are the wrong color. The encouragement given me has been beyond reason. When you go on the website no less than four varieties are given a nod of inclusion.
Aside from how they are colored or patterned, I love these chickens for their unique personalities. They seem to have very little human fear, and are animated active birds. Most of the more interactive breeds I've raised were ones that were big and sluggish, and just didn't move much. Due to not planning on having this pair I was forced to house them with my layer flock, as all the other pens had Dorking males established. This past week that 3 1/2 month old IB cockerel had gained control of the hen house and was mating. I don't usually like the males to sexually mature early because I believe it shortens the time they spend growing. I felt putting him in with a older Dorking male would have delayed him but was risky. He has the deepest voice in the yard and a loud melodious crow. Fortunately he not a frequent crower.

Wow, I had no idea. Looks like your hard work provided a basis for a rational discussion. As a newcomer my experience has been entirely positive. I have one pullet and one cockerel that I received by chance and are the wrong color. The encouragement given me has been beyond reason. When you go on the website no less than four varieties are given a nod of inclusion.
Aside from how they are colored or patterned, I love these chickens for their unique personalities. They seem to have very little human fear, and are animated active birds. Most of the more interactive breeds I've raised were ones that were big and sluggish, and just didn't move much. Due to not planning on having this pair I was forced to house them with my layer flock, as all the other pens had Dorking males established. This past week that 3 1/2 month old IB cockerel had gained control of the hen house and was mating. I don't usually like the males to sexually mature early because I believe it shortens the time they spend growing. I felt putting him in with a older Dorking male would have delayed him but was risky. He has the deepest voice in the yard and a loud melodious crow. Fortunately he not a frequent crower.

We started with four birds that were given to us by a man who hatched them. Two Birchen hens, what we thought was a silver hen and a silver cockerel with AR on the wings. The Birchen hens gave us our first charcoal chicks :) The "silver" hen was giving us many smokey chicks! With the help of this club, it was determined that our "silver" hen is actually a "clean smokey" girl. We have had some interesting chick colors out of these first four birds. Now the sons covered the mothers and we are starting to see a few silvers in the bunch. We now have a beautiful Charcoal male over the original three hens. It is our hope to add some of the Sandhill birds to give some variety and then work to form our silver and charcoal line. We continue to get charcoals but not sure they will breed true. The silvers are elusive to our hatches and what little we get are very small or they have carnation combs. It is a learning experience and one that Brett and I are enjoying. The smokey girls we are keeping for our egg business are the sweetest girls and they are the biggest of the Iowas. All of our Iowas enjoy the cold outdoors and are the last ones going in to the coop at night.
Our original silver male took on a stray 80 lb dog to protect the flock and got very badly chewed up. The neighbor witnessed him taunting the dog to get him instead of the girls. He managed to get away twice, but the third time the neighbor had to come to the yard and chase the dog away. The rooster went and hid being injured so badly. 2/3 of his body was down to the muscle. Miraculously, he is still with us recouperating in a special pen in the house. This took place last July and his left leg is taking a long time to heal. We hope to reevaluate his situation and he can join a special coop outside when the weather warms.
I love my Iowas! (My avatar is of the brave Iowa silver rooster named Gandalf) :)

Last edited:
Curt, that was one of the best accounts of this club that could possibly have been given. My hat is off to you for stating the facts so eloquently and with no political mojo. Great piece of writing from a very self-less standpoint. I think this describes most or all of the members of IBCC whom I've had the pleasure of meeting online or by phone. Those who didn't agree at the outset either decided to join up and add their own unique viewpoints or went their own way. I've always said this club exhibits a spirit of cooperation that is uncommon in other breed clubs, be it horses, chickens, dogs, or whatever. I credit you guys out there in IA for providing an atmosphere where this could happen...Connie, Kari, Eric, Curt...just to name a few...I know I'm forgetting some names so forgive me please.
Dan

You have such a way with words Curt! I've tried several breeds before and never have I encountered such a welcoming group of people. A big reason I stuck with the breed is that I always feel like I have people I can reach out to. I would have likely gave up a long time ago if everyone wasn't so willing to help and spread their knowledge.

I am not a breeder exactly. I don't mess with incubators, but I will never cull a hen that can hatch a clutch of eggs. I have had hens that will hatch 3 clutches of eggs a year, over 18 birds. I find no part of raising chickens more exciting than a hen with chicks.

I have been thinking about Iowa Blues for a while, and my question is about how this breed not only goes broody, but can successfully hatch eggs and make good mothers. Thanks to all replies.

Not sure if the picture is good enough or not but I hatched out 2 eggs that were layed by IABs, watched them do it! But since I *still* haven't put anyone in breeding pens because I've been swamped at work, I'm not sure of the roos involved. I have 2 IAB boys, and an EE boy out there free ranging. I'll put them in the layer flock regardless, but just wanted to know if it was obvious or not if they were IABs or IAB/EE. Wish I knew on the bigger/grey one, it's got nice dark legs. Which probably means it's a cross because my EE too has nice dark legs too. : )

In both pictures the bottom chick is much grayer than the top chick. Top looks to me like it could be pure IAB, not sure on the bottom one, tho' it's a moose!

Both hens were silver penciled but I really need to get birds in pens so I can hatch out some IABs and learn to tell them apart. Been hatching Norwegian Jaerhons for a month and have my 2 Minis full of those for a few more weeks. Hopefully in that time I will get my IABs in breeding pens! Tho' the IAB roos have pretty much put the EE roo in his place, I only ever see him with the laying hens now, while the IAB roos are with their girls, and whatever layers happen by. It's so much easier to have most of the flock free ranging so I only have to put food water in 2 spots, in this weather especially. <sigh>

Not sure if the picture is good enough or not but I hatched out 2 eggs that were layed by IABs, watched them do it! But since I *still* haven't put anyone in breeding pens because I've been swamped at work, I'm not sure of the roos involved. I have 2 IAB boys, and an EE boy out there free ranging. I'll put them in the layer flock regardless, but just wanted to know if it was obvious or not if they were IABs or IAB/EE. Wish I knew on the bigger/grey one, it's got nice dark legs. Which probably means it's a cross because my EE too has nice dark legs too. : )

In both pictures the bottom chick is much grayer than the top chick. Top looks to me like it could be pure IAB, not sure on the bottom one, tho' it's a moose!
So far, they look like they both could be pure. Hard to tell at this age :) What color is your EE?

Back
Top Bottom