Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

I guess I've never payed close attention to how my chicks feather out. That would be an interesting project to do!

I set 30 IB eggs on 3-1. We've been going out to check the coop for eggs every 45 minutes or less and sometimes we still get cold eggs. Fingers crossed for a decent hatch rate
1f64f.png
Good luck! I just set 88 yesterday. Planning a trip to Des Moines around easter to donate chicks to Living History Farms and I have a lot of orders to fill!

Good luck! I just set 88 yesterday. Planning a trip to Des Moines around easter to donate chicks to Living History Farms and I have a lot of orders to fill!

Thanks Kari, that's a lot of eggs! I'm hoping I won't have more incubator issues again this year. My orders are starting to pile up as well. I've had to refer quite a few people to you because they were wanting chicks immediately.

Congratulations on your new chicks! I see you've got a couple of chestnut colored chicks in the last photo. Very exciting. Keep us posted on how they come along and how you like this breed!

Hi Everybody, we have a new IaB owner! Meet George Frich (right), a long-time farmer in Belle Vernon PA. George read an article about Iowa Blues and became interested. He then had a friend do some research on the computer (George doesn't have one) and his friend contacted me. After a couple of weeks of talking back and forth on the phone and another week of bad weather, we finally met up today and George took possession of his Iowa Blues - a 5-month old trio and an adult hen. George also builds some great looking chicken houses. I look forward to following George's success with the Iowa Blues. He sure is excited to have them on his farm.

Dan,

Fantastic picture! Thank you for sharing!!!! This is what raising Iowa Blues is all about. It's about people connecting who have a similar vision for self sustainability. Often times we find people we'd never have found had it not been for our mutual interest in the breed and the breed's ability help us help ourselves.

I always enjoy getting to see pictures of breeders, old and new. It's fun to put faces to names.

Keep us posted on George's progress with his new flock.

Everybody has such exciting news! I am glad to add to that, what Kari has mentioned, Living History Farms will be receiving 15 of Kari's chicks to add to their 1900's farm site. April 4th @ 1:00 pm is when we will be on site for the donation. They are super excited to be getting them and I m super excited to be part of it! Making history! We will be taking pics of the event.

Looks like we go back into the ice box again here. I am worried, cause we moved some of our birds to the new farmstead and I hope they will be okay in an unheated building. Gonna be 19F again before warming this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom