Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Mini sheep dog?? I hope he's bigger than my little herding dog.

That's either a really tiny dog or big chickens! How perfect, except I think my Iowa Blues would beat up a dog that size! They have no problem warning off my Great Pyr and he is respectful of them.
smile.png
I wish they could be herded, my youngsters don't want to go to bed until well after the sun goes down. No matter where I want them to go, they run the other way. Even reverse psychology doesn't work!
he.gif

That's either a really tiny dog or big chickens! How perfect, except I think my Iowa Blues would beat up a dog that size! They have no problem warning off my Great Pyr and he is respectful of them.
smile.png
I wish they could be herded, my youngsters don't want to go to bed until well after the sun goes down. No matter where I want them to go, they run the other way. Even reverse psychology doesn't work!
he.gif
She's a toy Aussie, only about 9 pounds. I kinda wish she was about another 10 pounds bigger just so she would have just that much more of her to boss the big girls around. But she does alright with them. And she was so excited to see the new chicks this year.

Last edited:
It's neat to see the three generations Brett. Thanks for sharing. Junebug has finished out nicely too I would add. And he's got those nice flashy blue legs. Definitely a plus!

A couple of shots of the chicks feathering out. from about a week ago. Pretty sure I got one rooster out of the four. They're from fivewire's stock.

Last edited:
A couple of shots of the chicks feathering out.  from about a week ago.  Pretty sure I got one rooster out of the four.  They're from fivewire's stock.  
[/quote]

They look good! Yes the middle charcoal looks like a boy. The others may be girls :). Hard to tell from photos but the one in the middle has more developed comb indicating cockerel.

Hey everyone,

I hope spring is treating everyone well! My flock is greatly enjoying rambling all over the property and are laying like crazy. Work has been ridiculous so I haven't been on here for quite some time, but wanted to pop in and report that I am still alive. I need to get some photos of the chooks. I just hatched out 40 fuzzy brown chicks for a 4Her here and looks like fertility is good to go. Right now I have everyone running together, but hope to get breeding pens split off by next month to start my next generation. I have a couple roosters I'm more pleased with and some lovely girls from last year, so hoping the next generation will be even better.

A heads up for everyone, I've updated the website and am hoping to replace/add to the photos so we are looking for some nice quality photographs of birds that fit the standard as much as possible. I know we've come along way already from the original photos we used and I would love to get our best birds up on the IBCC website!

Also, I reset the breeder directory to accept listings for 2015. It is now blank, so any member wishing to submit their contact info to the site for the people clamoring for Iowa Blues to contact, please sign up! http://www.iowabluechickenclub.com/ibcc-breeder-directory-2014.html People are excited about the birds, but getting them connected to available birds has been a hardship thus far.

Hey everyone,

I hope spring is treating everyone well! My flock is greatly enjoying rambling all over the property and are laying like crazy. Work has been ridiculous so I haven't been on here for quite some time, but wanted to pop in and report that I am still alive. I need to get some photos of the chooks. I just hatched out 40 fuzzy brown chicks for a 4Her here and looks like fertility is good to go. Right now I have everyone running together, but hope to get breeding pens split off by next month to start my next generation. I have a couple roosters I'm more pleased with and some lovely girls from last year, so hoping the next generation will be even better.

A heads up for everyone, I've updated the website and am hoping to replace/add to the photos so we are looking for some nice quality photographs of birds that fit the standard as much as possible. I know we've come along way already from the original photos we used and I would love to get our best birds up on the IBCC website!

Also, I reset the breeder directory to accept listings for 2015. It is now blank, so any member wishing to submit their contact info to the site for the people clamoring for Iowa Blues to contact, please sign up! http://www.iowabluechickenclub.com/ibcc-breeder-directory-2014.html People are excited about the birds, but getting them connected to available birds has been a hardship thus far.
Good to hear from you Connie! You're more than welcome to use any of the photos I have of my birds here if they suit your fancy. I believe I also sent photos earlier this year when the newsletter came out but never received an email back, so I'm not sure if it went through or not.

Photobomb...

Snapped some candids today. Please keep in mind I chose to do this on the windiest day of the month, right after feeding them some egg.
hmm.png
Poor chooks were getting blown all over the place, so please forgive the tails/feet/feathers going in every direction.

These photos are the flock running mixed, mostly youngsters with a couple 1.5 year old hens, a couple of young roosters and a handful of Iowacana project birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom