Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Pics
I am really interested in the updates for the year !

I got moved, from MI to NE WA, have a nice flock of Icelandics starting and wanting the Iowa Blues soon as I can get sheds etc built, but I expect now that I'd best wait til spring.

I noticed that there are 2 other threads here on IBs, can they be combined?

I was looking for this one and found the other 2. This one was buried quite aways back.

As I posted on the other threads, I would like to get about 15-20 chicks and develop a 15-20 hen flock.

I think we need a lot more numbers then there are, I believe that I would put more selection pressure at this time on the roos and keep as many hens as possible. Myself I intend to keep 2-3 roos as I am doing with my Icelandics just to maintain as much diversity as possible.

I am looking forward to hearing more on what you all have been doing with them.

I forgot to add that I had posted earlier a question as to anyones theories about the origin breeds for the IB. Any thoughts?

The 'legend' is of a black hen with a brood, so what would have been the hens breeding at that time? There wernt a lot of black breeds around back then. And what type of Black was she? Extended? Its possible she was bred to some Columbian roo, or Birchen(my guess) . And what breed roo would have produced the cross chicks? A columbia? A barred rock? What Birchens were around there then?

I am just curious, my goal is just to build some numbers in a flock of hens and do heavy selection through the roo. One thing for sure in a roo is none of the copper showing, thats another form of Birchen, gold, silver is what we want, the IB has the silver birchen genetics.

Its a puzzlement , would like any input on this. I do know that we need to build numbers, and be super careful that all Roos used are of the Silver Birchen pattern.

And of course both sides have the other traits we want/need, a free ranging productive homestead chicken with excellent maternal traits.

Last edited:
An item on one of the other threads had a hatchery listing the ten rarest breeds in America, the Iowa Blue wasnt evfen mentioned ! From a list of Mother Earths, which is usually years behind on stuff anyway.

It seems from no more then I know that the Iowa Blue should be listed as THE rarest and Most endangered breed in America !

Does anyone know of any rarer ?

I havent really even considered Bantams as they are everywhere it seems and can be replicated, the McGraws I can see, but the Iowa Blue is American and to me should be a heritage breed, instread of struggling for existence.

I am planning on orders to Sandhill and Ideal both and will give the extra roos a very hard look before the excess going to freezer camp. I want to end up with 18-20 hens for a working flock. I amnot at all sure what other breed to add to the order to get the 25 minimum for shipping from Sandhill, maybe the Buckeye.

I have a good start on the Icelandics and am adding a trio more this year, and will be trying for 20-24 hens in them.A possibility of two other breeds also , looks like a LOT of omelettes next year.

I have seen some, and liked what I saw, so they are the most likely ones for now.

It looks like I am going to wind up with 4-5 heritage breeds. Could do worse. Much worst.

I got my buckeyes from Laura Haggarty. They are amazingly well bred birds. The hen I have, is a laying machine. Some days I wouldn't get an egg, then the next day I would see 2 in her pen. I raised lots of babies out of her this year. Now she is mothering some babies. These are very heavy, non aggressive, broody, thrifty, stately birds. One of the favorites out of all the breeds I have. (Which is too many.)

The Iowa Blue is the first addition, and the most effort, then the Buckeyes are a strong possibility. Laura does have very nice birds, about as nice of them as I have seen.

I am building a shed now for my goats and the Icelandics and the plan is another, divided into three chicken sections, one for the Iowas. The others takes a lot of thinking about and weighing.

Back
Top Bottom