Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Pics
Well, you're already in luck then! Cuz, I got him from tigercreek who got chicks from Dick Horstman, I do believe!!!
Hi anderson, where did you get your SP Rocks from? I just ordered chicks from Dick Horstman and hope to get hatching eggs from Wynette. I'm going to evaluate them for a possible cross into the silver penciled IBs to improve size, penciling and egg quality. I'm still trying to figure out how get back the dark legs and eyes though.

Hi anderson, where did you get your SP Rocks from? I just ordered chicks from Dick Horstman and hope to get hatching eggs from Wynette. I'm going to evaluate them for a possible cross into the silver penciled IBs to improve size, penciling and egg quality. I'm still trying to figure out how get back the dark legs and eyes though.

If you breed the SP Rocks in to the darkest of the IBs you have (SPRock roo X DARK IB hen, and vice versa) you'll be able to keep the extra melanizers that cause the leg and eye coloring. I would absolutely support the use of the SP Rocks as a way to increase size, laying frequency, and genetic diversity. That's my favorite choice to solidify color pattern, as well, and I was thinking of suggesting it...before I decided that I'm getting WAY too interested in these birds if I'm going to stay out of the project
gig.gif

Glad to see all your activities, folks, and I love the enthusiasm here.

Thanks for your input though, ChooksChick, I feel better about going that route with your feedback! I think there has been a lot of crossbreeding already so I hate to include something that would put the project back too far.

I have a bunch (60?) of chicks now, mostly light colored, so I put a dark roo in with my hens. I'll be setting a bunch of those for the Easter hatch I hope!

Here's the group from the NYD hatch.

Correction on my post about the SP Rock. tigercreek says "The Silver Pencil came from eggs from Wynette."

so, you've still already got the line you need!!

Last edited:
Hi all!
I've left County Line Hatchery to concentrate on showing. I'm regrettably dispersing my Iowa Blue flock. There are hens, a rooster, pullets and cockerels. I'd like them to go to a home that will continue to work with others to better the breed. Please feel free to contact me at my personal email address by emailing through BYC.

Trish Dusil

Hey all,

I too am raising Iowa Blues and glad I found this thread. I ordered chicks from SandHill last year but only got five from them. To make matters worse, a predator got all but one of them. I have a nice looking cockerel and am extremely pleased with how quickly he matured and am impressed with how intelligent he is. Although he is not aggressive, he is very protective of his sub group. (he was raised with four Jersey Giant pullets) He is a great forager and takes his girls out to the wood pile where the bugs are plentifully.

Two days ago I was able to get a pair of pullets from Trish and although they are a bit small and the lacing lacking, I have hopes that with my cockerel I can produce some decent color. and size. My two new pullets both gave me eggs yesterday and I have set them aside for hatching as they will give me two more birds not affiliated with my Cockerel. Hopefully at least one of them will be another cockerel

I would like to get at least one more breeding trio or quad this spring and I have an order in with SandHill, but my order was not early so I do not expect to get them before mid summer if at all.

My purpose in raising chickens is to develop self sufficient flocks. I was drawn to the Iowa Blue for it's traits and because it is the Iowa chicken. I have not taken any birds to shows, but I do believe in breeding to standard, but I also breed for purpose. No sense in having a dual purpose chicken that lays three eggs a week. I am happy to have found like minded folks interested in developing these wonderful birds. I am hopeful that we can do this and not breed the survival traits out of them.

Welcome Spartacus! Where are you located? I live near Belle Plaine. I've got a lot of chicks hatched out, more on the way and could certainly part with some if you are interested. The oldest group is from Jan 1 and I have a lot of nice boys. Sandhill definately has trouble filling their orders. They canceled mine last summer
hmm.png

Wow! I have now read the entire thread. It has only increased the anticipation for the next hatch.

Kari, one non breed issue you mentioned was a way to keep your eggs from freezing. If you haven't come by an acceptable method yet, I had the same concern and use heat mats made for placing under seed pots. I place them in the nest boxes and then put straw, or wood chips on them. I have mixed in shredded paper too, but never directly on the mats. I don't think they get hot enough to cause a hazard, but didn't want to try it first. The only drawback to this method is that some of my lazy layers find the warm nest boxes to comfy and spend more time than necessary in them. Obviously electricity is also a necessity. I also do not leave them on when it is a warm day. The girls do not seem to like the nest to hot. I also do not leave them on over night as I didn't want to encourage nest box sleeping. Next year I will incorporate a timer and possibly a thermostat controlled power supply.

Wow! I have now read the entire thread. It has only increased the anticipation for the next hatch.

Kari, one non breed issue you mentioned was a way to keep your eggs from freezing. If you haven't come by an acceptable method yet, I had the same concern and use heat mats made for placing under seed pots. I place them in the nest boxes and then put straw, or wood chips on them. I have mixed in shredded paper too, but never directly on the mats. I don't think they get hot enough to cause a hazard, but didn't want to try it first. The only drawback to this method is that some of my lazy layers find the warm nest boxes to comfy and spend more time than necessary in them. Obviously electricity is also a necessity. I also do not leave them on when it is a warm day. The girls do not seem to like the nest to hot. I also do not leave them on over night as I didn't want to encourage nest box sleeping. Next year I will incorporate a timer and possibly a thermostat controlled power supply.

Yep, I came to that conclusion myself, and it really works! I used them only during the coldest part of the winter and have now taken them out since the coop stays relatively warm on its own unless it's below 0. There was a lot of extra loitering! I had one girl I don'r think ever got off during the day, but at least she was willing to share.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom