Iowa farmwife- new to chickens

Cyndi in Iowa

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Hello! Well I am trying to be a good BYC forum member... so here's my introduction! :)

We farm (beef cattle, corn, beans) and have horses and a dog in Iowa. My 12 year old daughter is pretty excited about her new chicks. After our dog (Lucy, regular unpenned, loving, mixed-breed farm-dog variety) got ahold of one chick and one duckling yesterday, we are down to 5 chicks and one duckling. (plus one chick is just plain missing. i hope she escaped and is off fending for herself) :( I am new to chicks, except for being a little afraid of the chickens on my gramma's farm as a kid... Thank goodness for the internet! So far BackYardChickens has been super helpful! I am currently plotting to copy some of those fabulous ideas from the chicken tractor page. You posters are brilliant! Love it! I have been reading a little every day for the past 3 weeks (ever since we purchased the chicks) and I really appreciate this site.

Last night I was up way late researching "how to train a dog not to kill chickens." Well. there are a lot of suggestions out there- but the one that I have been most impressed with has ALREADY shown an improvement in my dog's behavior, just this morning! For other newbies with loving but playful dogs, [[I hope it's ok to post this link?]] I am using the advice from KSGrazier on this forum: http://www.motherearthnews.com/forums/forum.aspx?boardid=1202&g=posts&t=98022 Lucy is already responding to the "lay on her back" method and is becoming disinterested in the chicks and duckling. (they are in a 8x8' run for now.)

I am looking forward to borrowing lots of ideas! And I applaud all the people who live in towns/cities and still are able to have/care for feathered critters! This farm girl has a lot to learn about chickens! (grin!) I am learning so much from you all!

Sincerely,
Cyndi in Iowa

Oh, I am supposed to tell what breed of chicks we have. Well... the duckling is yellow :) The chicks are brown and the sign at Bomgaars (our local farm supply store) said the chicks were "Brown Egg Layers- Pullets." LOL

Welcome to the BYC Forum. I'm glad you have already found the info helpful, and yes, i post links to other threads frequently to let folks know what i found helpful. Once your chickens get older and if you have time to post a photo, the other members can let you know what breed they think you have. I am going to guess that your duck may be a Pekin, because yellow ducklings usually grow up to be white and Pekins are common. If your duckling grows up to be a drake without a female duck and hangs out with the chickens he may try to mate with them. Your hens will not like that.

Cute avatar, btw.

Last edited:
Welcome! I also think your avatar is adorable. I hope you're successful in retraining your dog! There are many people here who've trained livestock guard dogs, so you're in a good place.
smile.png

Ok, Pekin for the duck, probably. Good to know! He or she (I am desperately hoping she, tho this one is bigger than it's buddy- which the dog "got")... I am afraid it is probably a he. Didn't occur to me that a drake duck left with just hens could be a problem... thank you for the heads up, scratch'n'peck.

Shayna- I will def be searching around on the BYC forums about the dog training. At this point I am wide open to ideas. My husband is pretty sure Lucy "played with them to death," so I am thinking there is still hope. The chicks/duckling are better protected today (their pen was open when my eldest daughter arrived home to the scattered chicks yesterday.)

Thanks for the warm welcome, you two.

PS- the state extension services of various states have some really great chicken/egg/general farm information! I have found a lot of what I would call "vintage blueprint" type plans, but oh, those post-depression-era growers were savvy! I am astounded at the great info I have come across.

Cyndi

Hello and welcome to the forum!! I am using a spray bottle with some apple cider vinegar mixed with the water to help deter my hound dog from being too interested in the chicks. It's been working very well!

Back
Top Bottom