Iowa Weather :(

Khricket

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
I live in Iowa. I have 3 Chicks; Klaire - Red Ranger, Feona - Rhode Island Red & Charlie - Red Ranger; all Hens. It's comical how we came up with these names.They got these names because my son wanted KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) Fast food chicken resteraunt in Iowa, for those who aren't familiar. I had to get creative. 4 Ducklings; we believe TomTom & Dharma are Pekins & Greg & Zippy are Rouens. Don't know the sex of the Ducks yet. Haven't any clue of their ages. I have the Chicks in a Rubbermaid Tote & the ducklings in a different tote. They are all in my kitchen. It should be decent outside but this weather in cold & wet. I really need to know when I can put them outside, especially the ducks. The smell is awful. I was using wood chips I got from our local grain store but I read that the ducks would eat them & possibly die so I switched to pellets, awful. They get them wet within hours and it's complete mush. Right now the chicks are doing well. I have them on a towel will switch to the wood chips when they get a bit bigger. I can hold all 3 of them in 1 hand still. The outside temperature is like 40F in the day and close to 32F at night. I really want to put them outside or get something that may not smell so bad after a few hours. Please help!!!

Greetings from Kansas, Khricket, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! I know what you mean about this vile weather. Gotta get through today and we have a good turnaround in the temps for my area!! Ducks indeed be smelly critters! I think you were misinformed on the pine shavings. I have raised baby ducks on them and they don't eat them - or if they do I haven't noticed and they have always been fine. But because of their water messiness, smelly and soppy bedding is always an issue - just change it out daily and pray for warmer weather! Good luck to you!

Thanks for the warm welcomes and the information of the wood chips. I threw out the pellets & put the chips back in. I have the chicks on it as well now. They love scratching thru it.
The ducks are very quickly out growing the tote, everyone cross your fingers for warmth soon. I have no clue what I will do if they have to be in it much longer.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom