Iron in water?????

bigstack

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Texarkana, TX
I read not to use vitamins with iron in water. Why not? What does the iron do? Is it poison to them? I have alot of iron in my well water. Do I need to water them from the house (filterd water). Not the hose at the well?
New and kinda confused!!!

Thanks and God Bless!!!

Oh good heavens, I do too! I never thought about the iron in the water...
caf.gif

I can not think of a reason to not add vitamins to water containing iron. Almost all well water has high levels of iron. I have always added vitamins to my water and the red along all of my water fixtures indicates I have a lot of iron and I have never had a problem.

Sorry the OP's post probably confused you. I believe he meant that he had read not to use Vitamins that contain iron in the chickens water.
I have alot of iron in my well water and just never thought about the fact that they drink that iron water everyday. Wondering if it could be a problem?

The more I think about this, it really is extremely hard to overdose a domestic animal on iron. Even on iron supplementation! The body only absorbs iron when it needs it. The body has a compound called ferritin that tells the body that it needs to not absorb or absorb iron. In cases of overdose, the body just excretes it. The absorption is inversely proportional to Ferritin levels. I have heard of single doses (far exceeding toxic levels) killing domestic animals, but not animals that are given it as a supplement. These were in animals that were given iron injections.

Yes, the question was why not give vitamins with iron? I have iron in the water already. But every post is to use vitamins without Iron. Didn't understand why??? What is the diff. of Iron in water already and vitamins with iron? Was wondering about iron overdose. Thanks for the answers so far it does help. I really dont need any more to worry about. lol with all the eggs in bators and eggs in mail and eggs going into lock down..... YIKES!!!!!!!!

Thanks and God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom