Is “Dorothy” really a “Dan”!?

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Well, now I’m really confused! I posted a question about my coop a few hours ago and a few members think my “girl” Dorothy may actually be a male! Geez.. if so, can I keep a rooster with only two hens!? What does everyone think... boy or girl? I’ve been wondering myself... Pics below! 😩🤣🐔

Attachments

• 13FA5945-8629-4276-95D9-455FFB01C387.jpeg
    13FA5945-8629-4276-95D9-455FFB01C387.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 13
  • C3A90789-49FA-42AB-A6A1-C13C10117B95.jpeg
    C3A90789-49FA-42AB-A6A1-C13C10117B95.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 4F771370-A852-4345-B95B-D3FE894B373A.jpeg
    4F771370-A852-4345-B95B-D3FE894B373A.jpeg
    828 KB · Views: 11
More importantly can you have a rooster? Not sure, but comb and waddles look a little red. Could be a "he".

Can you spread he tail feathers out?

More importantly can you have a rooster? Not sure, but comb and waddles look a little red. Could be a "he".

Can you spread he tail feathers out?
I can have a rooster, legally but wasn’t in my plan! He/she will not let me touch them.. the other two will let me hold and touch.. this one not happening... I’ll try and get a pic of the tail feathers..

Attachments

• A6EA017C-8A94-4068-947A-5E642CE5240B.jpeg
    A6EA017C-8A94-4068-947A-5E642CE5240B.jpeg
    954.4 KB · Views: 10
I can have a rooster, legally but wasn’t in my plan! He/she will not let me touch them.. the other two will let me hold and touch.. this one not happening... I’ll try and get a pic of the tail feathers..
Tail feathers are completely irrelevant at this age. Saddle feathers start coming in around 12 weeks on most boys.

Oh boy.. you better teach that young man some respect or you're in for a world of frustration.. Handle him on YOUR terms, not his. Walk through him and make him move out of the way... I'm NOT a fan of dominance training and don't consider it effective. But I am hugely a fan of having balance minded roosters. Teaching them a healthy fear equals respect in the chicken world. Look for ways to not challenge him and also not be seen as part of the pecking order.

To make it easier to get a hold of and have him used to being handled... start doing so shortly after they settle onto roost in the evening. If he pecks you as you approach.. give a little poke or slight peck to the top of the head and slight tug to the feathers on the back of the neck.. Speak some of his language. Again not becoming a part of the pecking order or seen as an aggressor.. just not tolerant of any antics. :fl

Consider rehoming or allowing him to feed someones family, Wyandottes are quite tasty. :drool

For me an OOPS rooster is not a good enough reason to keep one.. and it can be very challenging.. completely changing your chicken experience. Decide what is best for YOU and your flock.

I don't consider roosters as flock protection. They are just front line sacrifices facing most predators I have. I do keep them for eating and breeding. And a good rooster (not still maturing cockerel) is a valued asset for his role in the flock! :love

It's a very personal choice, not to be taken lightly. But what an adventure! :wee

Tail feathers are completely irrelevant at this age. Saddle feathers start coming in around 12 weeks on most boys.

Oh boy.. you better teach that young man some respect or you're in for a world of frustration.. Handle him on YOUR terms, not his. Walk through him and make him move out of the way... I'm NOT a fan of dominance training and don't consider it effective. But I am hugely a fan of having balance minded roosters. Teaching them a healthy fear equals respect in the chicken world. Look for ways to not challenge him and also not be seen as part of the pecking order.

To make it easier to get a hold of and have him used to being handled... start doing so shortly after they settle onto roost in the evening. If he pecks you as you approach.. give a little poke or slight peck to the top of the head and slight tug to the feathers on the back of the neck.. Speak some of his language. Again not becoming a part of the pecking order or seen as an aggressor.. just not tolerant of any antics. :fl

Consider rehoming or allowing him to feed someones family, Wyandottes are quite tasty. :drool

For me an OOPS rooster is not a good enough reason to keep one.. and it can be very challenging.. completely changing your chicken experience. Decide what is best for YOU and your flock.

I don't consider roosters as flock protection. They are just front line sacrifices facing most predators I have. I do keep them for eating and breeding. And a good rooster (not still maturing cockerel) is a valued asset for his role in the flock! :love

It's a very personal choice, not to be taken lightly. But what an adventure! :wee
Thanks so much for the insight! Personally, I wanted an “easier” chicken experience. Maybe keeping the Roo wouldn’t be best for us, unless we got a few more hens? I’m going to wait it out a few weeks to know for sure what he/she is. 🙈 He/She doesn’t peck me ever.. just isn’t fond of being handled.. runs away and is overly dramatic when I try and pet (squeals). I will be sure to do my research and make the best choice! I was just not planning this! Haha 🤣🙈

Back
Top Bottom