is 4 weeks too early to move to the coop?

fzouk

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
middle Tennessee
I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find it in the search. My chicks are 4 weeks today and I am wondering if it would be OK to move them out to the coop. Obviously I'll take the heat lamp out there and I was going to put up a partition today to separate them from the big chickens and change out all the shavings. I only have 5 grown hens in a 10 by 17 ft coop so there's tons of room for them all.

Thank you!

If they can be kept at the temperature recommended (which is about 75-80) under the lamp, I don't see why it would be any different than keeping them in a brooder. Ask yourself, are they safe, are they warm, are they out of draft, do they have food and water! I think they will be fine and maybe happier with more space to run around in.

My 16 moved out at 4-5 weeks, when they were pretty well feathered out, w/o a lamp. They have a dog kennel for a "bed" and the whole thing is placed in a dog play yard/pen for a "run." It has gotten down to the 30s at night (only once!) and they've been fine. I know it's not the norm, but...I needed the room and don't have electricity in the shed, where the coop is (plus, putting a heat lamp outside makes me nervous). Anyway, it worked for me!

Oh good! Thank you! As much as I adore my little chicks it's high time for these guys to go outside!!
big_smile.png
I'll cover up the open windows in the coop to cut out the drafts and if I can get everything ready today then out they'll go!

Thank you!

I would just make sure that you have a "small" area for them to gather in that they can keep warm(er). I would worry that they might not be able to stay warm together in a huge coop. That's what I used the dog kennel for. Then again, if you put them in with the big chickens, they might just roost...

Ours are 3 weeks old and out the are! The coop they are in is 4 x 8 with an attached run. Inside we have a 250w red heater bulb and they can go in and out whenever they want. They are so happy when I open the pop door to go out. Jump, fly, peep. Sweet!

I was going to just fence off a corner for them so not too big an area. I wish I had a door like yours, happyhensny! There's no way to give the chicks the option of going out without blocking the big chickens' access so they'll just have to wait for field trips outside until they're all mixing it up together, I guess. I can't remember last year when I put the chicks out in the coop but I didn't have to worry about blending flocks since last year's chickens were my first. It's exciting this year having year olds and new ones! I'll keep them separated for a good while, until they're the same size and hopefully that will go well.

fzouk - we have two adjoining runs. The big ones on one side and the babies on the other. They can see and cluck to each other but no touching. Dog runs with chicken wire along the bottom because the babies can fit through chain link. So far, even today at 42*, the babies are out in the run scratching in the leaves and playing. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom