Is a Weasel or Mink a Threat to a Turkey?

the Old Rebel

Rest in Peace -2011
12 Years
May 12, 2007
Hendersonville NC
We've got two 7-year-old turkeys.... my babies raised from eggs in the incubator. We've been being visited by a weasel or mink for the past week or so. My turkeys usually stay in a pen with a roost about four feet off the ground. Are they vulnerable to a weasel or mink while roosting?? I know a coon can bite the head off of a roosting turkey. I don't want to find out about a weasel or mink the hard way.
Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing??

For now we are keeping our turkeys in cages in my DH's woodworking shop. The building is not completely weasel/mink proof, but it is a good distance from where the creature has been showing up. Moving them every night and again every morning is fairly stressful for them (and us), but I'd rather move them than lose them. Are they too big for a weasel/mink to mess with?? I HOPE so.

I'll appreciate any help I can get on this issue.

Hope y'all are having a better evening than we've been having lately.

From what I've read about weasels and minks I am going to say yes.

From http://icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/Weasels.asp it states,
Their diet consists of whatever meat they can obtain and may include birds and bird eggs.

Now due to the sheer size of the turkey, I don't know, but I wouldn't take any chances. I'd view the weasel or mink as a threat and trap it.​

Thanks, everyone. No, we haven't caught the varmint yet. Something is setting off all three traps every night..... and stealing the bait. Don't have a clue what it is. Maybe if we put sand in front of the traps we'd at least get a foot print or something. We've also talked about trying to get a video camera out there.

Fortunately, by the grace of God, we haven't had any more injuries or deaths, but that's because we are moving the birds to "safer" quarters every night and putting them back in these pens during the day (to avoid overcrowding). I sure wish we could catch this critter.

I guess we'll keep on moving the peacocks and turkeys. I don't want my priceless "babies" getting killed by a %$#@ weasel or mink!!!

Hope y'all rest a lot better than I have been lately.

Hopefully you will catch it soon.
smile.png

Steve

Years ago I owned a place that had mink on the creek. Well, I think they were mink. They were some sort of small, fast weasel type creature. My German Shepherd loved to harrass them. I felt that they were a threat to her! I lived in terror that she would come home with her face ripped to shreds. Fortunately they were too fast for her to catch.

I would say they are a threat. They are vicious little monsters!

Thanks, everyone. No, we haven't caught the varmint yet. Something is setting off all three traps every night..... and stealing the bait. Don't have a clue what it is. Maybe if we put sand in front of the traps we'd at least get a foot print or something. We've also talked about trying to get a video camera out there.

Fortunately, by the grace of God, we haven't had any more injuries or deaths, but that's because we are moving the birds to "safer" quarters every night and putting them back in these pens during the day (to avoid overcrowding). I sure wish we could catch this critter.

I guess we'll keep on moving the peacocks and turkeys. I don't want my priceless "babies" getting killed by a %$#@ weasel or mink!!!

Hope y'all rest a lot better than I have been lately.
I have on camera a white weasle jumping on the back of my turkey hen. While she was on the roost at night. But the back of her ne k and held on like a rodeo ride. Then ate just her head. So yes for sure this can and probably will happen.

Back
Top Bottom