Is a window latch racoon proof?

krjwaj

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Apex, NC
12849_400388979.jpg

Our latches on the outside run and inside hutch door are like these. Easy to operate for us, but too easy for racoons?

That's what we were afraid of. Didn't think about coons until our owl friend kept stopping by. The run and hutch are covered but a coon might unlatch it at night.
Hubby, time to modify.
smile.png

Coons are a lot smarter than peole give them credit for. Heck they can open things that I can't! We have put up cameras before, when trapping and hunting. You wouldn't believe what they do. Come on, how many wild animals can you say wash thier food if they have water near by? They do. If it is a latch of any kind they will play with it until they get it open. They are little problem solvers. Think you are coon proof, check again cause you probably aren't. Helps when you have an ol coon dog that guards your chicken like I do:D! They come around and he goes nuts. I turn on the spot light and you can see em running. Little varmits.

Michelle

DMK Ranch

Quote:
I'm building the roof on my run now to finish up my coop/run project. I looked at and read about lots of things to keep coons out that they couldn't open. I finally concluded that what YOU say is the best answer.
All of my doors to the coops and run have LOCKS AND KEYS.
For convenience sake, all of my four locks from Home Depot use the same key, about $15 for four. I did that just in case a key gets lost.
I keep the keys on a wire right beside the lock. I figure that if a raccoon is smart enought to insert the key, turn it, pull down on the lock to open it, and remove the lock, and open the latch, THAT raccoon deserves a chicken. I'd want to catch that raccoon and train for a money-making animal act.

I put the locks on the pop door on the inside, problem solved on pop doors.

For the human door I put a lock in which a can place a clasp like on the end of a dogs chain in to a loop. In approximately 15 years or so this is how I have kept coons out of the coop and they have not failed me since. I learned the hard way I had a coon get in the pop door with a regular old bolt type lock on the outside.

We use hasps and carabiners. You can get a cheap aluminum carabiner just about anywhere, including Office Depot. I do always put the carabiner upside down, too. We got the hasps at the Habitat for Humanity Restore.

So far so good.

I should add that we do have 2 window latches on the storage/nesting box side of the coop. There's on at the top & one at the bottom. A raccoon would have to get the one at the bottom AND the one at the top open to get the door open. The girls roost on the opposite side of the coop, so there's no reaching through a cracked-open door to grab a chicken.

Had a pet coon , had him in a wire bottem pen like a hutch.
One night he got out, he had pull the wire up and rolled it up like a man could. He did come back when called. they can open doors.

My bother inlaw had racoons take the screens off his window and get in his house he thought it was his kids because the only thing missing was some fruit and choclate he had gotten at a christamas party unill this spring he come home screens off again and to his surprise they was stillin the house he cought them in the act
lau.gif
they are very smart I also put cement blocks at the door of my coop along with locks the blocks are to heavy for them to move

Back
Top Bottom