Is anyone else having issues with the USPS and dead chicks?

I agree totally, people here in the north should wait for the weather to break before setting a delivery date for their chicks.  I always wait till end of march at the earliest. 

The first shipment was a fluke, -18 in central OH is not the norm for the 1st of March. 30 chicks in a box should be fine on a normal 3 day trip in March. But nothing is going to survive at -18. I mistakenly assumed they would ship on a M/T/W, not a Fri/Sat the prior week. Had I had any idea they were shipping Sat for Tuesday, I'd have cancelled it.

The second was NOT a weather related delay. It was an inexplicable routing to GEORGIA from Iowa. The normal route is IA to MN to Columbus. Overnight to 2 days tops as its under a 9hr ride by car. They screwed up. It was a mistake on their part. The box accidentally went to GA and then sat for 2+ days in GA. Weather played no part and it was not cold those days. But when something ships out on Saturday and arrives on a Thursday and they couldn't care less, then I feel like it's a USPS issue.

Lesson learned. I will drive the 250 miles to the hatchery next year. At least that's only a few hours in the car.

But I do maintain that USPS has serious issues and they're getting worse. And because of that fact, the hatcheries may need to pay closer attention to the weather or they're going to be replacing chicks left and right.

It will be hot here very shortly and then it will be fried chicks instead. If USPS has no ability or desire to change what's broken then businesses are going to need to change their policies.

But I do maintain that USPS has serious issues and they're getting worse. And because of that fact, the hatcheries may need to pay closer attention to the weather or they're going to be replacing chicks left and right.

It will be hot here very shortly and then it will be fried chicks instead. If USPS has no ability or desire to change what's broken then businesses are going to need to change their policies.
The hatcheries cannot adjust shipping due to weather. The birds hatch out and have to be shipped immediately. If they don't ship in the first day, they get put in a meat grinder. That's not an exaggeration, that's not hyperbole. They get put in a high speed meat grinder.

USPS, UPS, and Fedex are going to lose packages - it happens. None of them can get around a winter storm or a huge temperature fluctation - they can't change the weather - and they can't hold off because then the chicks just die.

There's not much here that either the USPS or the hatcheries can do. If you want absolute assurance - pay some more to have direct airport same day pickup - it'll just cost you $100+ on shipping per box.

If I had it would
The hatcheries cannot adjust shipping due to weather. The birds hatch out and have to be shipped immediately. If they don't ship in the first day, they get put in a meat grinder. That's not an exaggeration, that's not hyperbole. They get put in a high speed meat grinder. 

USPS, UPS, and Fedex are going to lose packages - it happens. None of them can get around a winter storm or a huge temperature fluctation - they can't change the weather - and they can't hold off because then the chicks just die.

There's not much here that either the USPS or the hatcheries can do. If you want absolute assurance - pay some more to have direct airport same day pickup - it'll just cost you $100+ on shipping per box. 

I'm aware of how a hatchery works. However, since I've found Nobody who seems to ship Fri/Sat except McMurray, perhaps they should revisit their business model and set their eggs on Mon/Wed.

If I thought I don't know about most hatcheries but I know ours has a planned overhatch every Monday/Wed to assure enough pullets for fulfilling orders. I can't imagine they grind their entire overhatch? The local hatchery's overhatch list usually sells out by Monday at 10am. And the rest gets put for sale in their layer bin in the store. I would have thought that most of them operate like that. Perhaps not.

That is a good hatchery! I know people that order from there and have been very pleased. That being said, they NEVER ship birds, they drive a few hours to get them. Geneva- they shouldn't be to far from you
smile.png

I received my order from Myer hatchery 2 weeks ago in freezing Pa temps and all 16 of my chicks arrived via express mail, alive and peeping. They were packed with extra bedding and a heat pack. The little cuties are all happy and healthy. They have been THE BEST hatchery I have ordered from.

CrazyTalk- EW, EW, EW, no chicken keeper wants to hear that!!! Where on earth did you hear/see such atrocities?

That is a good hatchery!  I know people that order from there and have been very pleased.  That being said, they NEVER ship birds, they drive a few hours to get them.  Geneva- they shouldn't be to far from you :)

Greenlove- I actually drove up there twice last week. They were fabulous. It's about 2hrs each way and nearly a tank of gas but at least they all had a better start. Cancelled my second replacement from McMurray.

Thanks!!!

Greenlove- I actually drove up there twice last week. They were fabulous. It's about 2hrs each way and nearly a tank of gas but at least they all had a better start. Cancelled my second replacement from McMurray.

Thanks!!!
ya.gif
Yaaay!! I'm so glad it worked out for you and your little ones!

My shipment from McMurray last year arrived in Oregon the next day, on a Sunday. The sort facility 30 minutes north of us called me to let us know we could come pick them up.

I can say though, from the perspective of a business owner who ships all orders with USPS, that the routing and delays have been really bad lately. We just had one customer's order go from us in Oregon to New York and then finally to Arizona for delivery. Other packages that would normally take 3 days are taking 8-12 days. The local postmistress says they have new rules that have affected the routing.

If I had it would
I'm aware of how a hatchery works. However, since I've found Nobody who seems to ship Fri/Sat except McMurray, perhaps they should revisit their business model and set their eggs on Mon/Wed.

If I thought I don't know about most hatcheries but I know ours has a planned overhatch every Monday/Wed to assure enough pullets for fulfilling orders. I can't imagine they grind their entire overhatch? The local hatchery's overhatch list usually sells out by Monday at 10am. And the rest gets put for sale in their layer bin in the store. I would have thought that most of them operate like that. Perhaps not.

very few hatcheries have a retail store such as you describe that sells overhatch chicks, sadly they are a biz and yes extras get destroyed. as far as mcmurray changing their shipping days, that's unlikely, they are I think the largest hatchery in the country offering such a large choice of breeds. their model is well established and has served them very well. the earlier poster that talked about the unpredictability of winter storms was right on the mark. its impossible for a hatchery to know the weather 3 or more weeks ahead when they set eggs for a planned hatch/ship date.

Back
Top Bottom