Is anyone else having issues with the USPS and dead chicks?

Ordered my 46 chicks from McMurray back in January. They were scheduled to ship on Monday the 16th but shipped on Saturday the 14th of March and arrived at the PO sometime over the weekend. McMurray did notify me via text message they were shipping so I had the weekend to finish getting ready for them. The Post Office called me at 6:30 am on Monday morning and I went in to pick them up. All 46 chicks (plus my free exotic) were active and noisy and made the transition to the brooder well. All are eating and drinking and doing cute little chickie things. The weather here in Texas was in the mid 60's - I didn't think to check and see how cold it was Iowa where McMurray is located. I know there are other hatcheries closer to me but McMurray had most of the breeds I was looking for.

I am very happy with my chicks.
mcmurray has always been the most reliable variety breed hatchery that I have ever delt with...good luck with all those chicks

mcmurray has always been the most reliable variety breed hatchery that I have ever delt with...good luck with all those chicks
This was my first year to order with them, and I will say I'll order from them again. I lost 5 chicks total to shipping stress (not McMurray's fault, this was all on USPS as mentioned in my previous post here). I spoke with a representative who helped me troubleshoot my brooder setup and how the chicks were acting, and concluded that all 5 were stress deaths, even the ones who died after their 48 hour cutoff, and I received credit for all 5. I was beyond satisfied with the level of service and the health and quality of the remaining chicks.

Update: just thought this would bring a little smile. After my initial 60 bird loss, I did the long expensive drive up to the nearest hatchery...twice...because my kids wanted to pick some out too. LOL

I had an untested broody and I figured I'd give it a shot when only one of the initial 60 was alive. I figured there was a good chance if it stayed alone it would be dead in the AM so I snuck out in the dark and put her under my broody.

Well big Mama took her like she was made for it. And she has successfully raised all of the 30 that we have acquired since. We had a few accidental deaths but 25 of the 30 are doing unvelievably well.

A rather motley crew in there!! That's an older picture, I'll post a newer one later. BTW I did put a 250w bulb and a Brinsea brooder in with her in case it was too much. But she easily kept the 30 warm for almost 2 weeks until the slightly older babies were feathered a bit ready to sleep along side her instead.

Last edited:
I purchased chicks from a seller in NC....they entered the postal system there at about 3 pm, shipped express delivery. they were due here (ny) by 3 pm. i have been tracking them and they are lost in the system, no one knows where they are. i called the postal hub in albany ny and offered to pick them up directly there when they arrive, but no non knows when that will be. i am really fearful for my poor 20 babies...say a little prayer for them. one things certain, money back guarantee from post office, i will be getting my postal charges refunded. the seller insured for $100 but the chicks cost $200....i may be out some money...more importantly i am angry that they got lost.

I purchased chicks from a seller in NC....they entered the postal system there at about 3 pm, shipped express delivery. they were due here (ny) by 3 pm. i have been tracking them and they are lost in the system, no one knows where they are. i called the postal hub in albany ny and offered to pick them up directly there when they arrive, but no non knows when that will be. i am really fearful for my poor 20 babies...say a little prayer for them. one things certain, money back guarantee from post office, i will be getting my postal charges refunded. the seller insured for $100 but the chicks cost $200....i may be out some money...more importantly i am angry that they got lost.

3 pm yesterday and 3 pm today, sorry for the omit.

In February my order was cancelled because the hatchery didn't have enough of my breeds hatched. In March my box of chicks arrived after a frigid trip silent and still. All 15 of the bitties were dead. This month, 1 of 8 was doa, and I have since lost two more. I realize there will be some losses based on weather, travel time and general failure to thrive. My question is, what is a reasonable expectation for survival rates, and at what age can you consider them past the "sids" stage? Thank you for any input you have. This is my first batch of day old chicks, and I feel like I'm ending up unlucky all around. I also ordered 3 blue laced red wyandottes and 2 have died and the third looks like it will be black laced! Can't a chicken mama catch a break?? :(

In February my order was cancelled because the hatchery didn't have enough of my breeds hatched. In March my box of chicks arrived after a frigid trip silent and still. All 15 of the bitties were dead. This month, 1 of 8 was doa, and I have since lost two more. I realize there will be some losses based on weather, travel time and general failure to thrive. My question is, what is a reasonable expectation for survival rates, and at what age can you consider them past the "sids" stage? Thank you for any input you have. This is my first batch of day old chicks, and I feel like I'm ending up unlucky all around. I also ordered 3 blue laced red wyandottes and 2 have died and the third looks like it will be black laced! Can't a chicken mama catch a break??
sad.png

sorry for your run of bad luck, my experience with hatcheries has generally been good overall, I have had a few die, and one shipment got caught in a snowstorm and losses were larger. generally if they make it past 3-4 days after arrival they are ok. are you sure that the temp in your brooder is around 90-95 at their level, that can have a heavy impact. I always give shipped chicks electrolyte for first drink.....11/2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt added to 1 quart of water. best of luck

sorry for your run of bad luck, my experience with hatcheries has generally been good overall, I have had a few die, and one shipment got caught in a snowstorm and losses were larger. generally if they make it past 3-4 days after arrival they are ok. are you sure that the temp in your brooder is around 90-95 at their level, that can have a heavy impact. I always give shipped chicks electrolyte for first drink.....11/2  teaspoons  of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt added to 1 quart of water.   best of luck

Yes. The temp on one side of the brooder is 90-95, on the other side I have it at 80. With a cooler spot in between where the food and water are. They nap on the warmer side for maybe 5 minutes, jump up en mass and run around and eat and drink for a minute or two, then back for a nap. They all are eating chick crumble, and drinking chick saver vitamins and electrolytes. Then one up and gets week and dies in the span of a few short hours. It's sad. I see another with partially closed eyes, looking a little droopy, but still eating and drinking.

We have a 6 hen limit in my town, so I may go to the feed store and pick up a few spare EE to be sure we have 6 make it to coop age.

I'm just a little sad because I placed my order in November and have thought of nothing else for months, and now it's not looking so good.

Last edited:
Yes. The temp on one side of the brooder is 90-95, on the other side I have it at 80. With a cooler spot in between where the food and water are. They nap on the warmer side for maybe 5 minutes, jump up en mass and run around and eat and drink for a minute or two, then back for a nap. They all are eating chick crumble, and drinking chick saver vitamins and electrolytes. Then one up and gets week and dies in the span of a few short hours. It's sad. I see another with partially closed eyes, looking a little droopy, but still eating and drinking.

We have a 6 hen limit in my town, so I may go to the feed store and pick up a few spare EE to be sure we have 6 make it to coop age.

I'm just a little sad because I placed my order in November and have thought of nothing else for months, and now it's not looking so good.
good luck, hope it all works out for you...

Back
Top Bottom