Is anyone locking down for Avian flu?

Beth77

Chirping
Aug 10, 2015
Scotland
Hi everyone, I'm sure a lot of you have heard about the avian flu situation in Europe. I live in Scotland and I'm on day 2 of a 30 day lockdown period, my girls aren't too happy to say the least.

Is anyone else locking down? How are your hens coping?

Just one more question.

Should I invest in ground sanitizer for the run and garden etc?

What is everyone lese doing for bio security?  Shoe covers are an excellent idea so thanks for that.

Thanks

Hello!

Well, in my opinion - I wouldn't invest in sanitizer just yet, if it does come to the UK that's when I'd get it (if I hear anything about a case of it in the UK I'll be buying sanitizer immediately). But it's entirely up to you; if it makes you feel more secure then you might want to think about it, but it's a lot of money to fork over for a problem that isn't here yet - there is an argument to each side.

For biosecurity, as mentioned I'm just wearing shoe covers before setting foot in my hen house, basic hygiene like washing my hands if I've been around them, and also putting out rat/mouse poison as they can carry and spread the disease.

Last edited:
No unfortunately not..the top of the henhouse has a big gap in it that was blown off in a storm a while ago-I hadn't realised or had forgotten as no one really goes up there. There was also a gap above the door so I didn't feel like it would be feasible to block it all off. It would also have been difficult climbing up there with water etc. (we dont even have proper steps anymore) So that was a waste of time!

However, I have a family member coming over to block off the henhouse door with metal and concrete around it so I don't have to block it off with rocks every night as there are holes both sides of the door. Once that is done everything should be fine-probably something that should've been done ages ago but DIY isn't my expertise so not something I could've done myself. I hate to put poison down (never have done before) but that is the next step to make sure there are no rats or mice to carry anything around outside the house.

I also gave the henhouse a big clean but it is getting expensive buying new bedding so often-chickens-clean and dry and hardly any mess, ducks-water, wet soggy bedding, big mess! And my poor chickens have to share with them-but one end of the house tends to stay mostly dry so I guess they stay there-they don't seem to mind the ducks but I bet they hate their mess! Shame I can't separate but no where to put them. But other than that all birds seem fine. How are you doing? I have not heard of anymore cases of it in the UK so let's hope this was an isolated incident? I just posted in another thread that I thought there would be more people on here-there are only a few of us posting about it-not many UK members perhaps?

Aaaww am glad you're getting help. Am the same with DIY etc. Used to be OK but as I get older I can't seem to do what I used to ha ha. I agree about the mice and rats. I have 4 cats so touch wood ...

Bedding is expensive I agree. Have you a woodyard local that might give you wood shavings? Although it's messy, shredded paper is OK. I also put flattened cardboard in the coop which they like to peck at and can be removed when dirty. You can get these for free from local shops and supermarkets.

Am doing fine thanks. Not sure if the neighbours think I have gone loopy as my garden is virtually covered in tarpaulin so the chickens can have a little run about and flap their wings ha ha. Have made a series of covered tunnels. Yet to put the polytunnel up as it's a bit windy.

I have signed up for alerts from Defra and there is just the one thank goodness. Although they have now put a limit on poultry shows and markets etc. Seems a good idea -less chance of spreading. Probably right about UK members unless they're just too busy in theback garden ha ha.

Have a great day

Hi - new to this post but it's really interesting reading everyone's ideas. I'm just outside London and have 5 girls in a fairly big covered (but outside) run. They're going a bit mad stuck in there as they used to free range daily - a good toy I made is an old hanging basket full of sand suspended at chicken head-height, I bury treats (seed / dried mealworms) in the sand so they have to hop up then scratch around for them. My girls also love love love live maggots which I buy from the fishing bait shop - £3 ish for a pint so a nice cheapish treat.

On another note... although the my girls are in, I think it's virtually impossible to prevent tiny birds from getting in the run. Also, vermin are really hard to stop, and shoe covers every time I walk down the garden seems such a hassle. I don't know... can you really stop it if it comes to your area??

Hi

What a great idea with the hanging basket. I bet they love it
yippiechickie.gif

It is a big hassle I agree and we can only do what we can do. We can only keep our fingers crossed and keep checking our little ladies.

A migratory bird (a wigeon) was found in wexford and tested positive for avian flu so its officially hit Ireland. I saw the news but didn't hear anything about compulsory housing till I went poking on the department website. 

Very frightened for duckie. 

Are ye sanitising (if so with what)? Would my local co op have foot covers?
I don't know about the co op, but I got a pack from B&Q.

Flipping Jagger!  One of my cats,  doesn't understand bio security!  Just spent 10 minutes rescuing a wild bird that she brought in.  Luckily it was OK but flapping around my bedroom.  She must have snatched it whilst roosting.  Managed to catch it and set it free.
Maybe I should leave laptop open on defra site so she understands about wild birds and chickens ha ha.
Oh no, I can just imagine!!

Hi everyone, I'm sure a lot of you have heard about the avian flu situation in Europe. I live in Scotland and I'm on day 2 of a 30 day lockdown period, my girls aren't too happy to say the least.

Is anyone else locking down? How are your hens coping?
Yes I am-it's compulsory isn't it here in the UK? It's a nightmare but got to do it. Only problem is it's so dark in my chicken house. Also, I have holes in the door that vermin have got in so I am having to block that off every night to make sure nothing gets in at all-I'll be taking steps to get rid of any vermin that may be about outside the pen too.

On the plus side-it gives the ground a bit of time to recover in the pen and thank goodness it isn't Summer-my birds were only out for a few hours anyway now the weather has changed. I don't have a roof to my pen so can't keep them out at all. It's really worrying but hopefully everything will be ok.

Are you adding anything to reduce boredom? I have couple of chairs I thought of putting in the hen house but they were outside so I don't know if that would be a good idea...I have 4 chickens and 5 ducks. It's inconvenient to say the least.

Yes it's compulsory - and for good reason too! We're only 30 miles away from the nearest case of it. It's a bit of a pain that you have vermin, luckily my shed is new (great timing as their old one was falling apart and would've been a nightmare right now!) so it has windows and is pretty airtight, although I'm going to put a vent in to let some fresh air in.

As for entertainment, I've put some pecking treats in and broccoli and cabbage, but I'm going to get them some food dispensing toys. I have 8 chickens in a 6x4 shed and I'm going to do everything I can to get them through the remaining 28 days as stress-free as possible.

I'm also upping my biosecurity and putting dispensable shoe covers on before entering the hen shed as Evian flu is also carried through feces and there will undoubtedly be some on my shoes.

I really hope the majority of UK poultry keepers are locking up their birds, everyone has to pull together and do their bit to prevent it from spreading all over the country.

Last edited:
I'm worried about it. There have been two areas here in Israel with Avian flu outbreaks in poultry farms, one about 3 weeks ago and one last week. Our Ministry of Agriculture "recommends" keeping poultry indoors, but it is not compulsory (so far). My chicken run is open to the sky and we always have loads of sparrows in it - they are attracted by chicken feed spills. Sparrows are known to transmit Avian flu via their droppings and they "drop" a lot in and around the pen. On the other hand, I tried to keep my chickens in the coop and they just beat each other up. To make it worse, I have got an integration problem with a mother hen with chicks that is relatively new to the flock. The coop is too small to keep them all happily inside for days on end. So I let them out again and I noticed that other chicken keepers in the neighborhood also let their chickens roam outside still. I'll probably try a compromise and pull some tarp over part of the run and let the chickens only into that part, hopefully blocking out the sparrows and their potentially infectious droppings.

Last edited:
@Beth77

Quote:
Hi Beth

I'm still working on getting all of mine into lock down. I have 70+ in several flocks and pens but most free range so it's proving challenging but doing the best I can. I didn't think there had been any confirmed cases in the UK yet, but you seem to think you have one local to you which is worrying. What part of Scotland are you in? I'm in the north east of England (Co Durham) and was assuming any outbreaks in the UK would start down south with migrating birds coming across the channel. I'm now panicking if there is a case further north of me already.

Good luck keeping your girls healthy and happy in their confinement!

Regards

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom