Is call waiting rude?

yes rude but remember when you hear the bussy signal all the time too
tongue.png

I wont have call waiting. They can wait till I'm done if it isnt an emergency. And someone leaves me more than a minute, I hang up. They're wasting my time making me wait by answering another call over talking to me.

Phones are rude period. Especially the ones you walk around with while ignoring the rules of the road, your waitress, and the general public in a grocery store isle, gas station, school, restaurant, movie theater, hospital, concert, or library. So.....the new word is they give you brain cancer. Probably because most people act like they have no brains with that little calculator thing attached to the side of their heads. Pfffft.

Edited to say....I own no phone of any nature. Nor do i answer the one at my work. My internet? You don't even want to know haha.

Last edited:
Well, my mom has call waiting, and that's because we have elderly grandparents that call her for help now and then. If she didn't have it, they might call with some type of urgent need and she might be carrying on an hour-long conversation that could wait until later. I guess I can see why it might be useful, but I understand why it annoys people.

Me? I hate talking on the phone. I'd rather have someone send me an e-mail, post something on my Facebook, or send me an IM. I'm quicker to respond to those (within the hour, often) than I am to check my voicemail. Hee hee.

No, I don't think call waiting is rude at all if used properly. Also, it isn't just cell phones that have it, house phones do too. If you have people in your household who tend to tie up the phone it is very handy for them to be able to see who is calling in and if it might be important, let the person you are talking to know that you need to see if it is important and that you will be right back.
If I hadn't had call waiting I wouldn't have known that my brother and sister-in-law had been in a bad accident and my number was the only one they had; the hospital's name showed up on the caller ID.
If you abuse it then yes it can be rude, but then again, if the person is rude anyway, don't blame the call-waiting, chances are they are just flat rude anyway.

Oh, I have call waiting. When someone calls I quickly look at the caller, surmise that they can leave a message because it is rude to break the call I am on, and later, I can hear their message and return their call. Basically, the only reason I really need it, is that I take on-call for work, plus, I have dial up.

Don't have cell phones and find them to be a complete and total nuisance! I don't even answer my home phone, let alone some music coming from my purse at all hours of the day. What has happened to the world when noone actually visits and talks with anyone anymore, but they can't go 10 min. without "checking in" on the cell. Insecurity? Guilt? Boredom? Control issues?
tongue.png

It is rude! That is why I dont have a cell phone.

My mother and sis have one and when we get some time with each other, they rather talk to them awhile and leave me sitting there waiting (yeah, I was peeved about it). Finally I had enough, went downstairs to watch TV while they have their phones in their ears. After that was done, they were wondering why I went downstairs and never came back up to renew our conversation before they were interrupted. DUH! They even call me anti social!

Most of the time, it's rude. Emergency's are the reason for call waiting, not "Oh, I want to talk to this person first, but since you're here, you can wait" attitude. I may wait for a second or two, but that's it. They can call me back. I do not like the telephone. If it's that important, they'll call back, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom