Is "Coral Blue" really blue?

happydog

Songster
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Western NC
Or is it more of a greyish color? And since 'coral' is an orangey color, why the heck do they use it to describe blue?

Last time I bought guineas I got an assortment of colors. I was a bit disappointed that the blue colors were mostly just different shades of grey. Maybe if the light hit them just right they looked blue, but it was still a greyish blue.

Is Coral Blue a bright flashy blue or somewhat subdued? I'm thinking of how they'd show up at night. To a predator. My favorite color was the Buff Dundotte. They were just gorgeous. But I suspect the lighter colors would be picked off first so I probably shouldn't get those. I was hoping the Coral Blues would look pretty out in the pasture, but still be dark/drab enough to blend in at night.

Their are differences from bird to bird but from my experience, Coral Blues are usually sky blue on their body with a shinny deeper blue around the neck and back. They don't have the spotted cameo (or at least not over most of the body) which most guineas have.

It goes to reason that the pearls would be the BEST camouflaged. The darker birds still do well. Lighter birds like lavenders and whites would be more open to raptor attacks. I have seen this with our ducks. We have one big white duck that has been attacked by a hawk and an owl. The others haven't. Either she is really unlucky or she just stands out more than her camouflaged friends.

Once guineas are full grown, we haven't had problems with predators except the 4 wheeled variety.

here is a couple pictures of coral blue

I don't think any of these pictures really do them justice, but as you can see they are a light color with a hint of blue. some areas of the body is a vibrant blue while other parts are only a hint.

these are cell phone pictures

This picture with the turkey is more likely a picture of the natural color.

Quote: Thanks. We missed the one when he hid his head completely into her wing and that where he slept. He hangs with the turkeys. We have a Jersey Buff Tom that is a Mother hen with a couple of the guineas and if they venture out of his area he will follow them as best as he can and watch over them. These 3 Guineas think they are Turkeys.

Lighter birds can be more prone to predator attacks, but once a predator knows where it can get a free meal the color isn't important... they all taste like chicken, if you know what I mean
hmm.png

Here's one of my favorite pics of my very first Coral Blue males. This boy has helped produced about 150 Coral Blue keets for me over the 4 yrs I have had him. I have 20 or so others in all of my flocks, but he knows he's my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom