Is Dry Incubation for Me?

lizberry81

Chirping
Nov 13, 2020
My first hatch was abysmal.

Started with 31 eggs, 17 made it to final lock down. 11 ayam cemanis from Cackle and 7 assorted from MPC.

7 of the cemanis hatched but 2 died
6 of the MPC hatched but 2 died

Giving me a grand total of 9 living chicks from 31 eggs (incubator: Farm Innovators 4250).

I asked a very successful hatcher her success and she said she does dry incubation. No water until lockdown.

My next batch of eggs are on the way: do I try dry incubation? I also have access to a Nuture Right 360. Do I go all out and dry incubate the whole batch? Or split them between the 2 incubators and dry incubate half? Is there much difference between vertical and horizontal setting?

Lay that wisdom on me... thank you!

I have done dry incubation with auto egg turner with an eBay 12 egg incubator I got for 30$ - no water until lockdown and I have had very high hatch rate. I love it. I set it and forget it.

My back yard fertile egg hatch rate is about 90% to 100%, and my mail order hatch rate range from zero to 60%. I never did a dry hatch, I always bring my humidity up to 60%. However, when ever I check, it can be as low as 40%, so my humidity goes up and down.

The biggest problem with mail order eggs is air displacement, your results sound normal to me. I am pretty sure your hatch rate would go up if you got them from your own flock.

Last edited:
@MGG has always been super helpful throughout my hatching journey. I can't remember her dry incubation results though. Honestly I believe there are multiple factors that will make dry incubation results vary from person to person. Here in NC, our summers tend to leave us with higher relative humidity. I don't run any type of humidifier/dehumidifier in my home unless the air is super dry and that's only during the winter, when I'm not incubating. So the relative humidity in my home is already a bit high during the times that I incubate. For me, leaving the incubator water ports empty is oftentimes necessary. Also, doing a dry incubation doesn't necessarily mean running the machine dry, at least not in every instance. I understand that's what you're looking at here though. Are you incubating chicken eggs again? Either way, I wish you the very best with high hatch rates!

Back
Top Bottom