is Dumor (dumour) a good feed brand?

I am actually mixing DUMOR and FLOCK RAISER together for my newbies. They seem all to be doing well. I guess it would make sense to have two separate brooders to use both varieties, and see which is better, Purina chick starter which I believe is an all veggies diet and DUMOR 24% which has pork base protein. Then compare. A buddy of mine convinced me Pork is good for chickens. He is old, I listen to old folks.

Last edited:
I had the same stink problem with Nutrena and Purina. And I've gone back and forth between the two to be sure. Nutrena made their poop stink much worse. With Purina, the smell of poop is much less.

I am sure that this is one of those topics where I need to make it clear that this is my opinion only. I am not a vet by any means, and am only speaking from experience with my own animals.
I feed Purina Layena crumbles. I think when it comes to feed, you get what you pay for. If you invest in quality feed that uses quality ingredients, you will have quality eggs and healthy animals.
I have had to feed cheaper at times because of finances and saw HUGE differences in egg production, shell quality, and yolk color. I also saw a difference in my birds. And they were only on this "other" feed for 60 days. I switched them back immediately and have fed Purina ever since. I also feed my other animals that need feed Purina. They don't skimp on the quality of thier grains and use no bad fillers.
We also had our dog on Pedigree for many years and switched her to Eukanuba Large breed Sr a year ago and what a difference!
Again, you get what you pay for. They don't skimp on the quality of thier ingredients and it shows. My 9 yr old lab/golden mix acts 3 again. Her coat, teeth, eyes and attitude are so different now. It is amazing.
One thing about Eukanuba is you can call and they will send you coupons monthly and they are SO knowlegable.
Anyway, after owning animals all my life (And its been a long one! ha ha) You really do get what you pay for when it comes to what you feed your animals. Do reasearch as each animal is an individual and see what works best for you.
Good Luck!

Purina is vegetarian feed, which is probably why less smell with their feces. However, I prefer one with animal protein, which is more natural to a chicken. Dumor seems to have had numerous issues with moldy feed and is so much more pricey than what I feed mine (several brands carried by the co-op and other places) and Purina is higher priced, too, though I'm sure the quality is fine, overall.

Quote:
How do you know Purina Layena has quality ingredients when all they list is plant by products, plant proteins etc.? What plants or grains???? My feed says corn, soy, oats or whatever. Just curious, as I like to know what is in my feed and if they can't list what's in it, I no longer buy it.

You've probably had a dozen of this same response, but I'm gonna say it anyway! I started with Dumor. All my birds were on TSC chicken feeds. I had no problem with birds eating it. I had no problem with growth. However, my TSC seemed to have a real problem keeping it in stock. So, I had to find an alternative.

I went to mixing feeds and I tried Layena. Again, no problem with eating or growing.

I have gone to a local mill's feed rations and now I see the difference. First of all the ingredients are very simple, no "by-product" anything. Secondly, they grow even better on it. I see less waste then with any other of the feeds I tried. And the poop doesn't smell as badly. I know, I know, Everyone says that and I never believed it before, but it is true. My coops are no more or less messy than before, but the smell is not as strong.

I pay about $12 a 50# bag which is fairly comparable to anyone else's feed and I am much happier with the results.

I remember the first and last time I went to TSC to buy a bag of Dumor chicken feed.They had notices posted by the feed section saying that they had a recall on several types of Dumor feed because they found elevated levels of some chemical in the feed.Chicken feed was not on the list but,it made me wonder how long it would be before it was.

I got lucky and found a farm that grows,mixes and grinds their own feed locally and my chickens love it.I feel a lot better about it too !!
smile.png

I'm glad to see this topic, as I've been trying to decide on feed brands myself. Definitely giving Dumor second thoughts! Has anyone tried Blue Seal?

As for dog foods, you want to look at the top 5 ingredients. You want protein sources to be specific and simple. "Chicken" or "beef" as opposed to "meat by-product meal".
sickbyc.gif
A good source for picking out dog foods is the "Whole Dog Journal". Each year they come out with a list of the best dog foods. They tell you the reasons why the foods are good and what to look for in good foods. They don't have advertisers, so they aren't obliged to promote (or not promote) any brand because of money being involved.

Here is a link where you can get a free dog food report.
smile.png

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

I have never tried Blue Seal feed but,I have heard several people say that they like it.In Maine,you may have Agway stores.I have had good luck with their chicken feed in the past and many others seem to like it also.

I wish I could buy Blue Seal here. I bought their horse feed for 20 years, and my horses were always in the best of health. My old guy lived to the age of 37 and I'm not exaggerating.

Back
Top Bottom