is Dumor (dumour) a good feed brand?

Quote:
Are you still in SE PA? If so what mill are you using? Are you using pellets, crumbles or mash? Thanks.

Cindy, Yeah I'm up outside of Reading. I use Brown's mill in Fleetwood. Altough I know they have other mills in the area. I use a pelletted feed they call "Egg Charger" for my hens. They also have a chick crumble and grower. Plus they mill a nice series of turkey feed too.

Yes, I like Brown's feed as it has animal protein in it. I was using it last year for awhile. Right now I go down to a farm in Oley and get layer mash with Fertrell minerals. The regular layer is $17/80 lbs. It works out to $10.66/50. I have never had a problem with mash, so right now that's what I'm feeding.

I use an organic feed from Kalmbach. I did buy a bag of Dumor chick starter because my chicks hatched before my husband ordered chick feed. I looked at the ingredients on the tag of the Dumor, and thought that is plain disgusting! (processed grain by-products, grain products, plant protein products...) I looked at the feed from Kalmbach and it sounds a lot better...not processed as much. (Corn, dehulled soybean meal, wheat flour, wheat middlings...). Hopefully my chicks will do better on the Kalmbach brand. I also noticed that the Dumor Chick starter doesn't tell you how much Vitamin A and E there are in it; whereas the Kalmbach brand does.

My big chickens were put on a cheaper feed for a while this past winter and we found the egg yolks were a pale yellow (like the stores )and they ate a lot more and pooped a lot more...this was from Heinold Feeds.

I"m sticking with the Kalmbach brand!

Quote:
I'm not the expert but from what I know, people can debate what's the best dog food as much as the best chicken food. The first thing to understand is that pretty much all dog food is made from the really nasty stuff not suitable for human consumption. With that in mind, you generally want a food that is higher in protein and not so much corn. Some dog foods are pretty much all corn. Check the bag and see what the first ingredient is. Also check the crude protein and fat content between store brands and premium brands.

You can get really, really expensive dog food but what we use is Purina Pro Plan. I would say that among the premium brands it is somewhere in the middle. I don't know how much Ole Roy costs but a 38 lb bag of Pro Plan is $35 at Pet Smart. We end up paying about $23 after discounts. Purina has coupons they send you if you start mailing in labels. The coupons are for $7.00 off, then pet smart has a discount too which I think is $5.00. So we usually get $12 off the list price.

It actually costs more to feed a lower grade dog food because you have to give them so much more food. With the Pro Plan we don't just fill their bowls, we give a measured amount of food each day. Of course they are always able to beg scraps off of me or the kids.

If you think you might want to change food, do it slowly and mix the new food in with the old and slowly wean him away. If you change foods immediately, the dog will likely get sick. Their systems have to be slowly adjusted.

Dennis

I know this is off topic, which is about dumor chicken feed - but just a quick FYI - our dog was on a high quality pet food with higher protein, and was having skin issues. It was due to having too much protein. We were advised by our vet to switch to a lower protein food - which we did - and he was fine after a few weeks. Just something to watch for.

As for the dumor - I used it for our chicks and hens - never noticed anything different. I give them pruina now - due to it being more readily available. Cost was about the same for either - within about $.50 per bag where I get it from.

I DID use medicated chick feed though for the first 3-4 weeks.

As with so many things - it's a matter of personal preference and experience. If it works for you - go for it.

Quote:
I'm not the expert but from what I know, people can debate what's the best dog food as much as the best chicken food. The first thing to understand is that pretty much all dog food is made from the really nasty stuff not suitable for human consumption. With that in mind, you generally want a food that is higher in protein and not so much corn. Some dog foods are pretty much all corn. Check the bag and see what the first ingredient is. Also check the crude protein and fat content between store brands and premium brands.

You can get really, really expensive dog food but what we use is Purina Pro Plan. I would say that among the premium brands it is somewhere in the middle. I don't know how much Ole Roy costs but a 38 lb bag of Pro Plan is $35 at Pet Smart. We end up paying about $23 after discounts. Purina has coupons they send you if you start mailing in labels. The coupons are for $7.00 off, then pet smart has a discount too which I think is $5.00. So we usually get $12 off the list price.

It actually costs more to feed a lower grade dog food because you have to give them so much more food. With the Pro Plan we don't just fill their bowls, we give a measured amount of food each day. Of course they are always able to beg scraps off of me or the kids.

If you think you might want to change food, do it slowly and mix the new food in with the old and slowly wean him away. If you change foods immediately, the dog will likely get sick. Their systems have to be slowly adjusted.

Dennis

I know this is off topic, which is about dumor chicken feed - but just a quick FYI - our dog was on a high quality pet food with higher protein, and was having skin issues. It was due to having too much protein. We were advised by our vet to switch to a lower protein food - which we did - and he was fine after a few weeks. Just something to watch for.

As for the dumor - I used it for our chicks and hens - never noticed anything different. I give them pruina now - due to it being more readily available. Cost was about the same for either - within about $.50 per bag where I get it from.

I DID use medicated chick feed though for the first 3-4 weeks.

As with so many things - it's a matter of personal preference and experience. If it works for you - go for it.

Hmm, that's interesting. My dog has skin problems and I just related it to allergies to wheat, corn, etc.... I'l have to check into this

I agree, I have always used purina and the store ran out so I bought a large bag of dumor....wow it smelled so bad i will never go back to that brand

Quote:

I just opened a new bag of Dumor 20% chick starter and thought "wow, this smells so sweet" maybe I should use it all the time. I have them on the Purina Freshstart. Here in my area the Dumor is more expensive, but our TSC sells both. So, today I am headed to the Feed Mill to buy big chicken food, and am here trying to decide which is best. I like the idea of animal proteins myself, as a chicken is omnivore. I prefer NOT medicated for personal reasons. Decisions. HenZ

I now have garbage cans that holds 150 lbs when filled. I mix both Purina chick start with Dumor 24% and a bag of Purina flock raiser. All 150 lbs mixed up. ALL my birds seem to be doing well. I do the same thing for my layers. One bag of Flock Raiser, one bag of Layena and one bag of Dumor 16%. I like to blend one bag of the two with pellets and the other with crumbles. I believe they like the variety. Everyone here is as healthy as one would wish for.

Quote:
Well I dont go into my coop to smeel my chicken poop.Dumor is what they gets.I havent heard them complain,nor leave complaints in the comments and suggestion box.

I use the medicated Purina for the first 50 lbs of feed to chicks then switch to non-medicated Dumor feed from then on. I was feeding all Purina but the price difference helped me switch. The tractor supply here has no problem keeping it in stock and my chicks eat it well. There are no mills in my area so I have to buy from a feed store. I actually know people that feed the Nutrena brand and they love it, so I might just try that if the price is right.

Back
Top Bottom