Is feeding oatmeal to chickens ok???

I mix some raw oatmeal in with the feed every now and then. During the winter, I'll give the girls some warm oatmeal on the colder mornings. Sometimes, they eat it right away, sometimes they won't eat much of it until around lunchtime.. They do seem to enjoy it regardless.

I usually make a BIG pot of oatmeal on cold mornings for the chickens.

They LOVE it.

I also give some to my 3 LGD's that are out with the chickens so they can have a warm breakfast, too.

smile.png

I also feed my girls wet warm oatmeal, and they love it. Only reason I add hot water and let it sit to cool is because, I know they are gluttons and will stuff themselves if given the opportunity, I dont want them to fill up to much with dry oats and have it swell inside there Crop or stomach.
And all i have now is rolled oats so that's what I give them now.

Last edited:
I cook it the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight on these hot Texas summer months. Plop it right down in their water saucer (dry). Looks like a jelly cake. They gobble it up. Even the small Bantom Sebrights take the risk and get close enough to the RIRs and get some.LOL

What is wrong with my chickens? They hate oatmeal and always have. Temps are so cold here. Single digits. So I have been making it every morning with different add ins. They pick all the add ins out and leave the oatmeal. Every time, and this is my fourth winter trying it. I had a little success feeding them warmed layer mash but lately they won’t even touch that. All they want is cracked corn. So I am hoping it won’t hurt them to survive on that a few days until the weather warms up. Any suggestions about what else I can do to get them to eat something healthy?

Back
Top Bottom