Is he a yearling India Blue?

Dustystrail

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
I'm pretty new to this whole peafowl thing. I'd like to hear your comments about him. I got both of them at a sale about 3 months ago. He is supposed to be a yearling India Blue. I've done a lot of internet reading and the eyes in his tail are what has me questioning what I was told. The female was sold as just a Blue hen. She seems to have grown or filled out slightly so I'm guessing she's pretty young. Also, he has a lot of broken feathers from the tiny cage he was stuffed into. I really have no idea how they got him in there. His neck feathers were all broken when we "unpacked" him but most of them seem to have molted out and grown back in already. Is that normal this time of year? I know sometimes the chickens seem to molt at strange times. Okay, sorry about all the questions. Here's the pictures :)

My IB boy is going to be two in August and this is him now. He has lost the light colored part on his breast but doesn't have any eyelet feathers, so I would say yours is around a year or a year and a half. But I am by no means an expert so maybe someone else will come along and give a more accurate guess.

Oh, how pretty! Your boy looks much greener than mine. Thank you! I'm pretty sure my boy didn't have half as many eyes when we first brought him home. We had no idea there was any tail at all as they basically had him folded in half to fit him into the crate. Just looks really funny with stripes and eyes. So far I haven't been able to find another like him. Maybe it is just an awkward stage nobody usually takes pictures of. Hopping for some more opinions.

Your boy is a yearling most likely coming 2 between may threw August
here are some of mine at around the same age.
This photo was taken around Jan this year, the male in the upper right had corner will be three next month

I have had yearlings just have one or two eye feathers but most of mine have grown a minni train before the age of 2.

Last edited:
I love these pictures. Much better than I've been able to find while searching. His "minni train" looks about the same size. Just not so colorful. None of these boys look like they have white on their chest anymore either.
Zaz, did you mean he's probably turning 2 next May-August?

Even in India some wild young peacocks are different ... not everywhere !

This type of plumage does not exist within the domestic blue peacock.

Back
Top Bottom