Is hosing out the coop necessary for deep cleaning?

Bear4boo

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Midwest
We are planning to deep clean our 5x6 coop
(Which isn’t that dirty as I’m pretty good at staying on top of it). I’ve read that it should be hosed out but we are concerned that much water will have no place to go and cause issues with the wood. Anyone here not hose it and just scrub with water and vinegar? I’d love to know what you do to get your coops clean and ready for another summer!

I think it would be fine to just scrub it. Go you, I am never that gung-ho, I just do a lot of scraping and brushing.

I don't hose out the coop. It's not needed and yes can rot the wood.

If you feel really inclined to scrub it maybe a bucket and rag to clean spots but NO to a hose.
Yeah, I just thought about it more. You would want to be careful with water because the wetness can cause bacteria to proliferate more than a dry environment would. Maybe it is fine in Arizona where it could be bone dry again in a number or hours. I would probably be more inclined to use a shop-vac than a hose with how humid it is here. 😅

I don't hose out the coop. It's not needed and yes can rot the wood.

If you feel really inclined to scrub it maybe a bucket and rag to clean spots but NO to a hose.
I have lightly misted my henhouse twice in 2 years on hot hot summer days. It gets so dry and dusty the little mist goes a long way. For cleaning i use long handled, modified dusters, clean poop daily. Fortunately the evening poops land on the hemp for easy morning cleanup. I cringe thinking of a hose spraying inside the hen house! Imagine? 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom