Is it a myth that water removes an egg's bloom?

Interesting.

I also found this...

https://www.petersime.com/hatchery-...-when-incubating-waterfowl-eggs-with-cuticle/

"Due to the increased degree of biological challenges experienced by the vulnerable embryo in its natural ‘wet’ environment, waterfowl eggs have a thicker ‘coating’ or cuticle compared to chicken eggs. This coating protects the eggs from contamination. In nature, the cuticle of waterfowl eggs gradually erodes during incubation due to the nest activity of the parent bird. This results in more exposed pores and, consequently, an increasing rate of gas exchange that provides the developing embryo with sufficient oxygen and creates an air cell big enough to facilitate hatching. To replicate the interaction between parent bird and incubating waterfowl eggs, two approaches are traditionally used. Some hatcheries actively remove the cuticle by washing the eggs before incubation. Others spray the eggs with water during incubation."
Waterfowl make an interesting comparison. The article I cited also refers to the gradual decomposition/erosion of the cuticle during incubation facilitating gas exchange for the embryo within, the need for which increases through the 3 weeks of course. And the cuticle contributes to the strength of the shell, which the chick needs to break, so it weakening over time has another benefit too.

I find this interesting, and I have refrained from washing my eggs. Most of the time, I have very clean eggs, but sometimes not. In the future, I think I will give those a quick rinse.

If you dunked the eggs in water, then let them dry, then washed them again and scrubbed them with your hands, would you still feel the bloom?

I suppose, even if water doesn't remove the bloom, it's difficult to clean eggs without rubbing and scrubbing them, and there's not much point in just dunking them in water.
I just water glassed a bunch of eggs and I dunked them all in water immediately beforehand (float test). If anyone cares I'll let you know if my whole batch is ruined

Back
Top Bottom