Is it a respiratory infection?

SavyNic

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Katy, TX
This morning when we walked out to the coop, our Barnevelder was making a strange sound when she breathed. About 3 weeks ago our white Silkie sounded similar, so we treated her with VetRX and also added some to the water so everyone could get it (just in case). We did that for a few days and everyone seemed fine! So this morning we were surprised to hear her breathing like that. Once we treated her, we noticed the white Silkie (who was sick before) was laying around and not following with the flock. We picked her up and she couldn’t even stand. She was gasping for air like nothing I’ve ever seen. Sadly, she passed around 15 minutes after we took her inside. I felt her throat to see if she was choking on something, but I couldn’t feel anything. I feel awful because I must have missed the signs... but I can’t remember seeing anything out of the ordinary from any of our girls. They’re all around 21 weeks and no one has started laying, but they’re very spunky and always coming to say hi. The only thing that’s different is with the Texas heat, they all pant. There’s no swollen areas that I can see, they aren’t sneezing, there is no mucus. Anyway, I’m really worried because I don’t want to lose any more of my flock! Do y’all think it’s a respiratory infection or something else? Any help appreciated!!!

Sorry for your loss. Do you still have her body? Getting a necropsy on a body that has been kept refrigerated, not frozen, by your state poultry lab would be the best way to diagnose a possible respiratory disease. If you can get a short video of the barnvelder making the noise, and post it to YouTube or Vimeo with a link here, that way we could hear what you hear. Make sure that you have very good ventilation in your coop, use a fan if needed to pull air through the coop and out a window, and prevent dust, mold, and ammonia odors. Viruses and bacteria will cause respiratory diseases, but keeping good air ventilation will help to prevent them.

Sorry for your loss. Do you still have her body? Getting a necropsy on a body that has been kept refrigerated, not frozen, by your state poultry lab would be the best way to diagnose a possible respiratory disease. If you can get a short video of the barnvelder making the noise, and post it to YouTube or Vimeo with a link here, that way we could hear what you hear. Make sure that you have very good ventilation in your coop, use a fan if needed to pull air through the coop and out a window, and prevent dust, mold, and ammonia odors. Viruses and bacteria will cause respiratory diseases, but keeping good air ventilation will help to prevent them.
No, we buried her :( but thankfully we kept treating with the vetrx and our sweet barn has stopped making the sounds! We have a fan blowing 24/7 right now and the coop is very well ventilated! Wondering why they got sick so we can prevent it from happening again.

No, we buried her :( but thankfully we kept treating with the vetrx and our sweet barn has stopped making the sounds! We have a fan blowing 24/7 right now and the coop is very well ventilated! Wondering why they got sick so we can prevent it from happening again.

Firstly, I want to give my sincerest apologies for you loosing your little girl. Unfortunately, VetRx is not a "treatment", per se, for respiratory infections. It is more or less a Vicks Vaporub for poultry, though it does seem to minimize symptoms, it doesn't really do much.

If you can, get an antibiotic like Tylosin or Doxicyclene (sp) if you really feel that this is a respiratory issue, I'm dealing with a possible respiratory issue as well and had to buy Tylosin just in case it got worse, to dose the whole flock.

Praying that your babes all stay healthy, sending LOTS of love and prayers from NJ to you and your family- human and non-human!! <3

Unfortunately, VetRx is not a "treatment", per se, for respiratory infections. It is more or less a Vicks Vaporub for poultry, though it does seem to minimize symptoms, it doesn't really do much.

So sorry about your girl. I second this about VetRx. My poultry vet actually told me that it can improve symptoms like a breathing rattle, but any bacterial infection would remain without antibiotic treatment.

Necropsy is a really good idea for birds that appear to have respiratory disease. It is also possible to have live, symptomatic birds swabbed by a vet and then those swabs can be sent to a state lab to be tested. I spent just over $75 dollars have this done with one of my birds, so not really cheap, but I feel it saved me a lot of money and heartache in the long run.

Firstly, I want to give my sincerest apologies for you loosing your little girl. Unfortunately, VetRx is not a "treatment", per se, for respiratory infections. It is more or less a Vicks Vaporub for poultry, though it does seem to minimize symptoms, it doesn't really do much.

If you can, get an antibiotic like Tylosin or Doxicyclene (sp) if you really feel that this is a respiratory issue, I'm dealing with a possible respiratory issue as well and had to buy Tylosin just in case it got worse, to dose the whole flock.

Praying that your babes all stay healthy, sending LOTS of love and prayers from NJ to you and your family- human and non-human!! <3
Thank you so much! Good luck with your feather babies as well 💕 I will definitely be buying some of that! I really appreciate the advice :)

So sorry about your girl. I second this about VetRx. My poultry vet actually told me that it can improve symptoms like a breathing rattle, but any bacterial infection would remain without antibiotic treatment.

Necropsy is a really good idea for birds that appear to have respiratory disease. It is also possible to have live, symptomatic birds swabbed by a vet and then those swabs can be sent to a state lab to be tested. I spent just over $75 dollars have this done with one of my birds, so not really cheap, but I feel it saved me a lot of money and heartache in the long run.
Okay, I really didn’t know that about the VetRX! I feel like I always hear people rave about it. Anyway thank you for your info! Luckily we have a small flock of 7 now, so treating them individually isn’t bad :)

Okay, I really didn’t know that about the VetRX! I feel like I always hear people rave about it.

I didn't either, and everyone I know who keeps chickens uses it. I don't think it is necessarily bad or anything, but it isn't a medicine which I think is implied by some folks. Good luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom