Is it a roo??

6CHICKS141

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Massachussetts
I have 6 5 day old araucana chicks, and one of them is particularly small. I automatically thought she was a hen, because of her size, but she has the biggest wings out of all of them, and I mean BIG!!! some of the chicks wings are only an inch long, but hers are about 3 inches! or over even! She also has some tiny feathers sticking out in the back on her tail, with the others do not. But this confuses me since she is noticeably small and petite! Like the runt! Does all this mean that SHE is actually a HE?

Some girls are really big, have big combs, etc. It is really hard to tell before they are about 3 weeks old. The roo's combs will get super red and they will start to crow a bit.

yeah, it IS a good indicator if they feather in faster its a pullet. i have found that to be true. i am amazed at my hatch this year from local eggs. i hatched out 20 of them, gave 10 to the guy who gave me the eggs. i kept 10 but i only needed about 6. but i wanted to figure out which were hens. well, since i had so many, i gave him 4 more when they were a month old, but all of them seemed to be feathering out fast and looking like pullets! so now i have 8 of them and they are now about 6 weeks old and STILL i see no roosters! and the guy told me that last year when i hatched for him, most were hens! wow! i'm happy, but amazed!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom