Bugpreisler

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2018
Hello everyone my name's Rebecca! I'm new to BYC and raising chickens! BIT of background: I raised 5 day old chicks. At 7 weeks one turned out to be a rooster that I sadly had to rehome due to zoning regulations.

To keep our flock number at 5 we decided to rescue a similar age pullet (6-7 weeks old) from a rescue organization. We kept the new pullet in quarantine as best we could, but after a couple days of seemingly normal behavior we moved her coop close to the flocks egear to incorporate her before we left for vacation. After about a week of having her we left for 4 day vacation. All was normal before we left and we kept her in a seperate coop/run close to the flocks coop/run.

I continued to check in with their caregiver and in on their camera. Unfortunately, the weather was at a high of 90+ deg. F for The 4 days. The care giver provided frozen blocks of water. After 3 days, during my nightly check-in I heard the new pullet "purring" or wheezing while she was breathing and would periodically cough. The next morning I had the caregiver move her coop away.

Upon our return(same day coop was moved) we inspected the new pullet more closely. It seems she may have lice or mite nits under her neck, but a vent pretty clear of parasites. She seemed a bit congested,sneezey,but didn't cough anymore. Her ears seemed to have slight discharge but nothing substantial. It created the feathers around her ears to be a bit hard. We immediately used vetrx as directed for "colds". And ordered coop cleaning supplies.

2 days later we deep cleaned the coops/runs with a power washer and elector psp. We also treated all chickens with elector psp, and sprinkled dust treatment in their run. And supplied all pullets with ample dusting areas. I've also started to give the "sick" pullet vitamins in her water.

Now,( a week after return from vacation) the pullet is still very sneezy and I'm having a hard time determining what to do. She is eating and drinking normal. I'm nervous to get my flock sick, but they may have already been exposed. I don't know what if any respiratory infection she has. And I cannot find a vet in the area the treats chickens.

Is a coughing sneezing chicken always a serious thing? Could she have an ear infection? Could the mites/heat have lowered her immune system? Does anyone have any idea what she may have?
20180605_181214.jpg
20180605_181336.jpg
20180605_181214.jpg

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Your flock has most definitely been exposed to the mites and life,and probably as well to whatever she has,but I’m no expert on diseases,but have witnessed lice.
What are treating with?

Your flock has most definitely been exposed to the mites and life,and probably as well to whatever she has,but I’m no expert on diseases,but have witnessed lice.
What are treating with?

Thanks for the reply! I'm Not treating illness(if it is) yet just giving her vitamins in water and vetrx as needed. Initial treatment of lice with Elector PSP and permithin powder for run/dust baths. Follow up treatment in two weeks.

Great hearing you use permithian,I would use the spray,it’s a thousand times for effective and witnessed dead lice within minutes,powder is a bit messier to me,and not as effective from what I hear.

Great hearing you use permithian,I would use the spray,it’s a thousand times for effective and witnessed dead lice within minutes,powder is a bit messier to me,and not as effective from what I hear.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind! The active ingredient in the spray I used was spinosad. I used the permithin powder on the ground as a secondary measure.

Back
Top Bottom