Is it close?

Sophia V

Chirping
Jul 16, 2022
I have 3 pullets between 4.5 - 5 months. One of my pullets this morning kept going in coop, sit in nestbox, then came out cackling. I knew the egg song as soon as I heard it. I ran out, but no egg, just my decoy eggs.

She did this 4 times. The last time she was in there a while and my other 2 pullets went in to investigate.

So, nothing today. It seems like a "dry run". Is this how it happens? How long does this happen before an actual egg is produced?

Another question, since my pullets will be laying in fall & winter, shorter days, what can I expect as far as egg production? I have Barred Rocks.

Last edited:
Yes that's typical of pullets to practice. I think young barred rocks will lay through winter. As to how many eggs depends on the individual hen. They will lay well next year, more than what you know what to do with.

Keep your fake eggs to only one per nest box.
Thank you. I have only 1 egg per nestbox. Well, I have a list of friends who are waiting for eggs. Lol

These were my first eggs. They weren't crazy tiny but as you can see smaller than my pinky. Other than size, they were completely normal (had both yolk and white). My kids called them their tiny egg breakfast. 😊

Attachments

• 20220820_173410.jpg
    20220820_173410.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 6
My one hen has laid 2 eggs since this initial post. Yes, it is smaller than a regular egg. Does contain both yolk and white.

Back
Top Bottom