Is it dangerous if I introduce ducks into a chicken coop?

Without knowing the gender of the duck it’s questionable. Yes, you can put them together. 4-5 weeks old they’re big enough that I’m not worried about the chickens hurting them per se. Ducks are a lot messier and wetter. There are definitely negatives to doing it. With that said, you were given good advice about the look no touch, same as you would integrate other new members to the flock. The concern about drakes hurting chicken hens is not so much about being mean but that they can kill a chicken if they try to mate them. I personally have 3 drakes (house’s separately) but sometimes my chicken hens fly over the 6ft fence.

Without knowing the gender of the duck it’s questionable. Yes, you can put them together. 4-5 weeks old they’re big enough that I’m not worried about the chickens hurting them per se. Ducks are a lot messier and wetter. There are definitely negatives to doing it. With that said, you were given good advice about the look no touch, same as you would integrate other new members to the flock. The concern about drakes hurting chicken hens is not so much about being mean but that they can kill a chicken if they try to mate them. I personally have 3 drakes (house’s separately) but sometimes my chicken hens fly over the 6ft fence.
thanks, would think on that.

I'd make sure your chickens have met your ducklings before putting them all together. Chickens can peck hard and may not like their intrusion into the coop. So maybe a dog crate for the ducklings to sleep in inside the coop for a few weeks to give the chickens time to get used to the ducklings. I have almost 4-week-old ducklings and I wouldn't put them into my coop without first making sure everyone is being nice. Mine will sleep in a dog crate before they are let out to sleep without protection. I am taking my ducklings out daily to be around everyone so they will know these ducklings before they move into the coop.

I'd make sure your chickens have met your ducklings before putting them all together. Chickens can peck hard and may not like their intrusion into the coop. So maybe a dog crate for the ducklings to sleep in inside the coop for a few weeks to give the chickens time to get used to the ducklings. I have almost 4-week-old ducklings and I wouldn't put them into my coop without first making sure everyone is being nice. Mine will sleep in a dog crate before they are let out to sleep without protection. I am taking my ducklings out daily to be around everyone so they will know these ducklings before they move into the coop.
Indeed they are let outside on a place where they have food and water around the chikens while still protected until we let them out.

Back
Top Bottom