Is it harder for heavier birds to fly?

KandJsmama

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Enterprise (Las Vegas, NV)
I have six 17-week-old pullets: 3 EEs and 3 BSLs. They have begun to fly over our 6 foot block wall. At first I thought they were getting on something near the wall and hopping over but today I watched as two of them flew over after being on the ground. As they get older and heavier will they lose their ability to fly so high? I am trying to avoid clipping their wings unless I absolutely have to. Thanks! (The wall they are flying over is in the background of the pic)

37469_img_3517.jpg

My full grown brahmas - smallest hen is about 6 lbs., rooster is over 13 lbs. don't bother even trying to fly anymore. They kinda just run along the ground, wings flapping.
However, with the right incentive - being chased, etc., they can clear a fence easily.

I have several bigger birds that like to fly the fence still. They tend to stay right by it - but on the other side. I think they think the grass is greener on the other side.
roll.png

All my banties which can make it to the top of the garage roof (first snow they go up there and discover SHOCK more snow) actually stay in the yard. I think it is because the alpha roo is a showgirl and can't make it over the fence. They know who will protect them.

Quote:
So did they settle down and lose interest? Mine are doing this several times a day and I have to keep finding them and returning them to their "approved" area.

Well, they've developed a routine of what areas they visit each day and really don't need to go looking for greener pastures since I free range on 80 acres.
If there is danger on the other side of the fence, then it's probably best to wing clip and not have to worry about it anymore.

all my chickens fly, they roost about 5 1/2 feet off the floor and several have gotten out of the run if there is a hole in the netting covering the top.

My rooster doesn't escape much, I think because he's so big/heavy. He gets all worked up into a tizzy when all the girls run off and leave him behind!
lol.png

My Queenie is heavier than the Leghorns, and she's an escape artist, but I don't think she really flies all that much either.

The Leghorns have clipped wings and they still make it about 3-4 feet up with a lot of flapping. Apparently wing clipping just makes them have to work harder
hu.gif
BUT they don't escape nearly as much as they used to, and they don't roost in trees over my head anymore -- they all roost in the coop on a 3ft roost now.

My hens were flying over my 5 ft fence and i'd be chasing them home 4 or 5 times a day. The grass is always greener..............

When they dug up my neighbors prize orchids i had no choice but to clip their wings. it worked straight away. They simply cant lift their big silly bodies more than 2ft now.

Go ahead and clip them, it doesnt hurt and looks fine if you follow the instructions.

It's easy, especially if you do it at night while they're roosting. I was worried my first time too, but my daughter and I went out (two people makes it easy) and she held the birds and I snipped the flight feathers. It only took a few seconds per bird. Mine were going over a 10' fence and there are too many coyotes around to have them out and about before the dogs go out for the day.

Back
Top Bottom