Is it Illegal to Sell Chicken Eggs?

I live in Missouri and know many ppl that do it around here. But my question would be, can I do it times a thousand? How many eggs can I be selling till it is too much of a business? And if its a business, what do I have to do to be legal?

As it's been said. To know exactly what you need to to you gotta contact the local authorities. For Texas to be licensed you must report how any hens. How many eggs a month. How much free range time. Get them to inspect the facility. Report how much profit. Show them the process from gathering to selling to verify that eggs stay clean and at a minimum of 45deg. In Texas you don't need a license to sell directly to consumers though

I found this for Wisconsin.
Egg Sales & Licensing

For the purposes of egg sales and licensing, egg producers are categorized in two ways: small-scale producers and large-scale producers.

Small-scale producers (150 birds or fewer)
Act 245 signed by the governor in April 2014 reduces the licensing burden on small-scale egg producers so they can sell eggs more easily in the marketplace. The act exempts small-scale egg producers who sell eggs directly from the farm to consumers, at farmers’ markets, and on egg sales routes, from having to acquire a food processing plant license for egg collection, cleaning, and packing activities.

Even though the new law allows small-scale producers to package eggs without a food processing plant license and sell them at their farm, they still are required to have a mobile retail food establishment license to sell their eggs at farmers’ markets and on egg sales routes.

Contact our licensing consultants to obtain a Mobile Retail license application.

In addition, they must still meet some basic food safety requirements as follows:

• Eggs must be sold directly to the consumer, not to a wholesaler or distributor.
  • Eggs must be packaged in a carton that is labeled with the producer's name and address, the date the eggs were packed into the carton, a sell-by date within 30 days, and a statement indicating that the eggs in the package are ungraded and uninspected.
  • Packaged eggs must be kept at an ambient temperature no higher than 41°F at all times.
  • Registration is required for egg producers who are exempt from food processing requirements because they collect, package, and store nest−run eggs from a flock of laying birds owned by the producer. There is no charge for registering. Registration is a useful tool to the department in the event of an animal disease outbreak that requires food safety personnel to contact egg producers. Use the Nest-Run Egg Producer and Seller Registration form to complete the registration process.

Back
Top Bottom