Is it normal for a duckling to be panting in an air conditioned room?

Wooveeskoovee

Hatching
Jan 7, 2024
I posted about my duckling in a previous thread but I'm still worried and there aren't any available vets for miles. He seems to be showing most signs of heat stress, but my room is already air conditioned. Swimming and drinking does seem to help him. I'm worried it might be some underlying illness, though he only pants when lying down (so I suppose when the heat is being trapped). He also still sneezes occasionally, though not as often. My chick does too, though very rarely. My room is cold enough that while I don't need to wear long sleeves/layers, I still use a blanket.

Welcome to BYC. Why are you keeping them inside in the air conditioning? People in hot climates routinely care for chickens and ducks outside with lots of shade and good coop ventilation. Panting sometimes may be from excitement or stimulation. Sneezing can be common when feeding or if there is dust or allergen particles in the air.

Welcome to BYC. Why are you keeping them inside in the air conditioning? People in hot climates routinely care for chickens and ducks outside with lots of shade and good coop ventilation. Panting sometimes may be from excitement or stimulation. Sneezing can be common when feeding or if there is dust or allergen particles in the air.
He seems to be panting more in my regular climate. I also live in the city so there isn't much places where I am to let them run outdoors. My birds are rescues I found abandoned at a fair so my home isn't really build to properly house birds and I just ordered most of what I needed online.

Back
Top Bottom