Is it normal for pullets to go broody so often?

I'd swap you for a non-broody layer! I love broody hens, but I can sure understand why it's upsetting when you're looking for eggs.

Take the golf balls out of the nests. It's not a proven thing, but my personal feeling is the feel of a "clutch" underneath them can help trigger the hormones that make them broody. Collect eggs as often as you can. Not saying it will cure them, but it can't hurt.

You might also do a bedtime check. A broody will be sleeping on the nest. Boot her out to a roost. The cool air underneath her may help reset those hormones without resorting to putting her in the cage.

Removing the golf balls is a good idea. They're all laying in the nesting boxes now, so no need for those anymore, I think. Edith in particular has always liked to sleep in the nest. I have been blocking the nests with a wire screen at night for a month or so now to keep her from sleeping there. I always check them at night to make sure they're all on the roost. **Sigh** I guess they're just going to be this way for a while. Edith's in jail again today. At least I know she's eating and drinking while she's there.

Back
Top Bottom