Is it ok for young hens (4 months of age) to eat layer feed?

Brummie Pekin

Songster
6 Years
Sep 2, 2017
United Kingdom, Birmingham
I have just added two new members too my small flock and they are around 4 months and not laying. They are moving in with my two 2 year old Bantam pullets who are on layer feed and I just wanted to ask is it ok for the 4 month old hens to eat layer pellets?

I have just added two new members too my small flock and they are around 4 months and not laying. They are moving in with my two 2 year old Bantam pullets who are on layer feed and I just wanted to ask is it ok for the 4 month old hens to eat layer pellets?
Ideally, no.
However, at 4 months old they are probably getting close to laying eggs.
It would be best to feed the non layers a multi feed with low calcium (1%).

Ideally, no.
However, at 4 months old they are probably getting close to laying eggs.
It would be best to feed the non layers a multi feed with low calcium (1%).

I had a feeling the layer feed wasn't right for them but I haven't seen any problems with their health and they seem happy. right I will keep that in mind and try and get them on a different feed until they start laying.

weigh them..... 4 months should be very close. If they are over 3lbs, and over 16 weeks of age, you can go ahead with layer feed, If they aren't 3 lbs or more, keep them on a grower, or all-flock, until they are. (or until you see them start to lay, or they get to 18-19 weeks of age.)

Back
Top Bottom