Is it possible for guinea keets to get fully feathered before they're 6 weeks old?

MelindaAustin

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 18, 2015
Our guinea keets are 3 weeks old and they already look like they're fully feathered. They seem to be growing fast and are trying to fly out of the brooder every time we get in there to change their water or add food.

I don't own guineas, but I think it is very possible. It depends on their nutritional intake, the temperature they are kept at, and their genetics. If they are fully feathered, you can move them out to their full time coop with just a little heat source, since they will imprint on where they are raised. Introducing them to their roost now will help them continue to use it as they grow up.

Best of luck!

Our guinea keets are 3 weeks old and they already look like they're fully feathered. They seem to be growing fast and are trying to fly out of the brooder every time we get in there to change their water or add food.

Some of my keets are 3 weeks old today. They have a lot of feathers on their body but have down on their heads. They are not fully feathered even tho they may look like they are. They are not ready to be without heat until they are 6 weeks old unless the temp is 80 degrees or more.

They can fly at this age. I just put mine back in the coop and I had to shoo them off a perch that is over 4' off the ground. Your keets sound like they are developing normally. They may have a few more feathers than mine due to genetics or a higher protein feed. But they are still babies.

Guinea keets are naturally very flighty around people. In the wild this is their only protection from predators, scatter and fly. Some people manage to tame them but what you describe is the norm for the little ones.
wink.png

Thanks so much. We are planning to move them to a bit bigger cage in order to spread out more and give them places to roost. Trying to figure out how to provide them a heat source in it yet.

I was told to put them in the coop in a cage for a few weeks or until there 6 to 8 weeks to get them use to the area was also told to leave the pen in there for awhile make sure they have a roost bar so they have something to get on it seems to be working so far. Good luck

We moved then into a "nursery" over the weekend in our barn, they seem to be adjusting except for the high temperatures and humidity we had yesterday and we're expecting today. The nursery is bigger accomodations with a couple rousting bars. My husband did notice when they were sleeping that they are indeed not fully feathered yet.

I have keets that are about 8 weeks old. They are fully feathered but I think they are loosing the down on thier heads now and they look almost bald. is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom