Is it possible she accepts a chick?

Timildeepson

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Hi there. I have a Wyandotte hen that just lost her sister to a predator, and is now alone. She is just over a year and has not gone broody once yet. If I got a single chick, is it possible that she will accept the chick out of instinct and loneliness? I really don’t have the means or energy to raise a chick inside this year. My other option is to adopt an adult hen, but I am having a hard time finding what I like locally. Important to note that two hens is my limit, for personal reasons. Thanks in advance. Martina and Dutchess.

Hi there. I have a Wyandotte hen that just lost her sister to a predator, and is now alone. She is just over a year and has not gone broody once yet. If I got a single chick, is it possible that she will accept the chick out of instinct and loneliness? I really don’t have the means or energy to raise a chick inside this year. My other option is to adopt an adult hen, but I am having a hard time finding what I like locally. Important to note that two hens is my limit, for personal reasons. Thanks in advance. Martina and Dutchess.
Only if the chicken is broody then you can get away with it. When they are broody at night while they are sleeping put the chick underneath her and in the morning ( since chickens aren't that smart ) she will think that the chick is her baby.

She isn’t broody, but very noticeably lonely and her demeanor is very deflated. I’m also considering placing her and starting over later on.... as I don’t feel like I deserve her after failing to protect them. But that thought breaks my heart, too.

What exactly do you mean by
I am having a hard time finding what I like locally
? Do you mean you don't like the certain colors you don't like? I say if you find a hen then get it, It isn't very fair for your hen to keep her lonely just because you can't find a hen you like..

If not broody she most likely will Not take in the chick, She will either end up killing it or just ignoring it.

Sorry that sounded a bit off, I’m a little distraught. I also recently lost my best friend (shepherd) of 13 years, which is why this happened. I fell asleep after a bought of crying and didn’t lock the girls up. Now I feel like I don’t deserve them. Anyways, what I meant was all my options “locally” have been either roosters (not an option) or over an hour drive each way (my car isn’t safe that far right now). I do have breed preferences, but that isn’t a limitation.

Sorry that sounded a bit off, I’m a little distraught. I also recently lost my best friend (shepherd) of 13 years, which is why this happened. I fell asleep after a bought of crying and didn’t lock the girls up. Now I feel like I don’t deserve them. Anyways, what I meant was all my options “locally” have been either roosters (not an option) or over an hour drive each way (my car isn’t safe that far right now). I do have breed preferences, but that isn’t a limitation.
Then I apologize for assuming you were just being picky, Have you tried looking on craigslist or asking around feed stores? Any near by auctions or flock swaps? Could try looking for someone who would ship a started pullet to your place..

Then I apologize for assuming you were just being picky, Have you tried looking on craigslist or asking around feed stores? Any near by auctions or flock swaps? Could try looking for someone who would ship a started pullet to your place..
That’s what I’m trying so far, but the started pullet is out of my financial ability. I will try to keep her more company until I figure this out for her. I’m just a hot mess right now... thank you again.

That’s what I’m trying so far, but the started pullet is out of my financial ability. I will try to keep her more company until I figure this out for her. I’m just a hot mess right now... thank you again.
Sorry to hear things aren't going your way.. You could try putting a mirror in the coop you're keeping her in so it'll seem like there's another chicken with her until you find her a new friend..

Back
Top Bottom