Is it possible she did the trick?

annep

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
I saw a hawk fly right over my house the other day..If I held up the broom, I could've hit it...That's how close she was...She landed in a tree probably 50 yards away..I watched from inside the house, and my dog from the outside. My dog is a Pyr...The hawk didnt come back..Is it possible she decided against going after my girls because of the dog? This is our first full winter with her, and we have not had any kind of attack yet, hopefully, ever..We have had fox, hawk and dog get our girls..Thoughts?

Is it possible she decided against going after my girls because of the dog?

Anything is "possible, but probably not.
She probably just wasn't hungry enough​

I had a lot of hawks hanging around my pastured poultry operation. Even saw a hawk inside the fence on the ground. Then when I put my Great Pyrenees LGD out there with the birds 24/7, all predation stopped. I've noticed that my LGD is very much in tune with the sounds the chickens make. When an alarm goes off and the chickens run for cover, the LGD is up and about barking at the threat. My neighbor, who has a 600 acre dairy farm, noticed the same thing and commented several times to me that the LGD is doing her job very well.

Meanwhile, my mobile hen houses are corralled next to the dairy barn for the winter. The dog has no real job to do anymore until Spring, and is currently curled up by my feet as I type this message.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I have never seen a hawk just give up like that..We have stopped hawk attacks as they were happening, and the hawk just sat in a tree in the front yard, so very close..Then she'd give up..Always happened on a Sunday morning too, while we were getting ready for church...We called them the Catholic hating hawks, who hated church goin chicken owners! heheee...

Back
Top Bottom