Is it possible to breed a true Ameracauna (ame) from a EE?

FVRM

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
St. Pauls North Carolina
If I have a bunch of mixed breed ames (EEs) can i breed them to eventually become a recognized ame variety? assuming all my EEs are from ames and not other random chicken breeds?

It sounds like you may enjoy reading this about how the Ameraucana breed was developed. It might clear up some misconceptions. They did what you are talking about doing.

Ameraucana History
http://www.ameraucana.org/history.html

Is it possible to breed a recognized color and pattern of Ameraucana from your EE’s? Of course it’s possible. It’s also possible a piece of space junk could fall out of the sky and destroy your house today. I try to say that nothing is impossible if it deals with nature, especially living things.

I don’t know the genetic background of your flock. You would need to study genetics and learn how different genes interact. You’d need to learn how to control breeding so you can enhance certain genes and eliminate others, all the while maintaining some genetic diversity. Good breeders do that all the time. You may need to bring in an outside breed just to get one trait, then eliminate all the other traits you brought in. That takes several generations. You’d need the facilities to control which male breeds which female and keep really good records. Probably most important of all, you’d need to learn what makes a chicken an Ameraucana. It’s not just color, pattern, and blue eggs. It’s body conformation, color of eyes, color of the legs, color of the bottom of their feet, comb, size, and so much more.

So is it possible to breed true Ameraucanas from your EE’s. Yes, that’s how the original Ameraucanas were developed. But if I wanted true Ameraucanas that bad, I’d just buy them.

Back
Top Bottom