Is it possible to deter the egg song during early hours?

katie_94

Songster
Oct 14, 2021
First time chicken owner and our girls have started laying since 12/12 and boy are they loud! Especially our salmon faverolle. Personally, I don't mind it but my dad does sometimes and I'm scared our neighbors will eventually (idk if they know for sure we have them in the first place). We're not even allowed to have chicken where we live anyway but my parents went ahead and got them and left them in my care when none of us knew anything about them (I had to learn along the way). I've grown attached to them as they helped my mental health over the past 6 months and I love them for being them! But oh, the egg song lol.

Two of our girls are laying between the hours of 6-8 AM. Possibly earlier. My question is, is there a way to deter them from singing during the early morning? Like, put the egg laying on pause for just a few hours? Lol. For example, will blocking all sunlight from their coop (with ventilation of course) help? I'm fine with them screaming any other hour and so far, they don't make any noise when the sun starts setting and nighttime. I let them free-range 9 or 10 am to sunset.

Also, does the egg song ever calm down after a certain time (weeks, months, etc)?

I've accepted that it might be impossible and that my parents would get in trouble someday :idunno

Back
Top Bottom