Is it possible to spoil the chicks?

LauraCB

Hatching
Jun 14, 2015
I'm a first time hatcher of chicks, I started with six eggs, four fertile and lost one to wry neck so have three chicks left. They are just over a week old and are growing like weeds, but I'm wondering if it is possible to spoil them? They are in a large brooder and have an electric brooder for heat, angled, and they are lovely and toasty. They are eating and drinking (and pooping!!) constantly. I have no worries about them other than that after a couple of hours alone in the brooder, they all line up at the opening, look out and chirp, really really loudly. It's not a distress chirp, but it is very very load and persistent. As soon as I walk into the room and talk to them, they are quiet, but start again when I leave. They stop permanently if I pick them up and hold them.

So I'm wondering, is it possible that I have handled them *too much* and have spoilt them?

You were probably the first big thing they saw, so they got attached to you. They imprinted on you. It is possible to spoil them, just handle them a lot & whenever they chirp just come to see them and "greet" them

Thank you for your reply! They were shouting at 7 this morning, so I came down and held them for an hour and put them back, then again at 11am, so they came out for an hour and nested under my chin whilst I did some work on the laptop. I've just put them back and they are digging away happily in the sawdust :) and chirping quietly to each other.

That's good news for the chicks! They have already imprinted very strongly if they manage to stay with you while you did work.

Yes, it does appear these three chicks have imprinted on you as their "broody hen". There isn't much guesswork involved with the type of heat source you're using, and as long as they have plenty of easy-to-reach food, meaning that their beaks can reach it, then the reason for their insistent chirping is wanting to be reassured of your continuing presence.

That should slowly become less as they come to be confident that their needs will be taken care of. I don't think you can really spoil chicks. Handling them isn't something you can overdo unless the way you're doing it is upsetting them. Just make sure you're reaching for them from the side and not diving down on them from above.

Back
Top Bottom