Is it really that bad... home processing...

mamaboyd

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
Kendal.Ontario,Canada
It's almost time for some of our chickens to be processed, so I showed my DH the link that someone had provided that showed how to do it yourself. He was okay until it came to the part where it was discussing how to remove the liver etc. He said it was "gross". Now if he alright with the "killing" part , how can he be grossed out with the removal of the insides of the bird??? He said I could "do" that part. If we do decide to do the processing ourselves, any advice for poor me?? I don't exactly have the strongest stomachs in the world!!
roll.png

heya..

i will be watching this..
as i have a sim problem

however i have the problem killing them..

i dont think i will have a problem with gutting..as long as cold (ill pretend its a turkey and get some Thick gloves)

i might have an isue pulling feathers as i will see it as it was alive

tlordon , mamaboyd I just wanted to tell ya....its not really THAT hard. I mean.....when we processed ours, my 6 yr old grandson was helping....he loved the plucking part....thanks goodness. He would get MOST of the feathers, then I would go over them afterwards. As far as cleaning out the cavity....well..its warm...and really no pleasant way to go, except reach in, grab, and pull. Just dont think about what you are grabbing....make it QUICK...and have a bucket of cold rinse water handy. We do ours by the bon fire....so we can burn everything we dont use. The first one is the hardest...after that, it gets MUCH easier. Good luck to ya both.

My advice would be to only plan to do one to start with and see how it goes. If you want to keep going, great. If you find out that neither of you is cut out for this, you can look for someone to process the others in your area.

Everybody is different. For some people it's no big deal, others get used to it or tolerate it and some find it too traumatic. I think you'll really just have to try it and see.

That's what I was thinking, start off with 1 and see how's it goes. My DH said I get the wonderful task of pulling the insides out, so as long as I have a good pair of rubber gloves I should be alright. Another question, how bad does it smell, I can handles some smells like poopy diapers but I cannot handle the smell of vomit:p I gag big time:lol: Maybe I could use nose plugs:rolleyes:

If you don't pierce the intestinal tract during the process, it really doesn't smell at all. Except the feathers.....Ohh how I hate the boiled water -on - feathers smell. yuck! puts me off eating chicken for 3-4 days afterwards.

Recently I learned how to skin the birds instead of plucking, and that also improves the smell.

And don't forget latex gloves and dust masks. The latex gloves make it easier for the "reaching in and pulling out" part. The dust mask can be worn for the kill and the plucking. Its not much different than cleaning fish!

Brian

Back
Top Bottom