Is it safe for chickens to eat from the compost pile?

Thank you all for your imput. Have you heard any connection between chickens eating earthworms and then getting roundworms? I know I couldn't prevent them from finding earthworms in other places in the yard, but there would seem to be more in the compost bin. Also, if they eat up all the worms in the compost, what is left to help the stuff decompose?

Whenever my dogs poop the birds run on over, start clucking excitedly and eat it within minutes. Zero health issues whatsoever. Sterile environments are what make chickens sick

Whenever my dogs poop the birds run on over, start clucking excitedly and eat it within minutes. Zero health issues whatsoever. Sterile environments are what make chickens sick
:sick oh noooo that's so gross i hate dog poop!
but duck poop goose poop and chicken poop are OK and I have the opposite problem. My dog eats those ! my birds seem to Avoid the dog poops when they occasionally appear I try to pick em up as fast as I can.

Roundworms have a direct life cycle. The worm eggs are excreted with chicken poop, and the chickens reinfect themselves by scratching and pecking at the dirt. Earthworms and other bugs can also be carriers of parasitic worms.

Compost conditions (warm, humid, moist) are perfect for worms and worm eggs.

There are mixed opinions on chickens being allowed in the compost. There is anaerobic bacteria in compost which can cause botulism which can be fatal.
There are also things that are toxic to chickens that go into compost, e.g. avocado skins and coffee grounds.

That being said chickens obviously love compost and are helpful with turning labour.

Is it safe for chickens to eat from the compost pile?​

No, it isn't safe. There is always a risk. It's called living. It's not safe. People die, other creatures die every day in all sorts of ways.
Would I let chickens forage in a comost pile? Oh yes. I encourage them to do it. I have done so for years in all manner of compost piles from composting straw from pig styes and donkey sheds to houshold waste and weed tips.
To the best of my knowledge in twenty years of chicken keeping not a single chicken has died as a result of having access to a compost heap.

Back
Top Bottom