Is it safe to build coop out of treated fence boards ?

TanyaR

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Louisiana
I have dog-eared pressure treated fence boards left over from building a 6 ft fence and I was thinking about using them to build my chicken coop. Would that be safe for us and the chickens?

I built a 4 x4 coop and used treated wood for the corners/legs but I wouldn't personally use treated for the whole thing. I painted it also to reduce the dust coming off it hopefully.

So I would use treated for anything coming in contact with the ground (mine is up on some concrete blocks but tied down with metal wire through the roof-anchored to the ground by wrapping wire through holes drilled in t posts for wind protection).

It is unlikely that the chickens will eat the wood. I doubt dusting would be a problem. If these boards have been out in the weather, they should be free of any loose material. Modern versions of pressure treating are supposed to be safer than earlier ones. Paint will cover a world of ills.

Chris

That’s an interesting question. I assume they are new boards, recently purchased and left over from your fencing project. They are probably not weathered.

Modern chemicals and methods are safer than older methods. That doesn’t mean there is absolutely no risk, just not as much risk. Don’t stick your fingers in your eyes after handling it. Be careful breathing sawdust. Things like that. Just reasonable precautions you should take anyway. Anything that touches the ground should be treated wood or one of those really expensive types of wood that resists rot and termites.

If the wood is dried, you should be fine. If it is still really fresh it could be a bit more of a problem since it might give off fumes as it dries. If you do use it to build your coop and it is fresh, I’d suggest you do as Chris suggested and paint the inside. If it’s not real fresh, you should not need to paint it. Painting the outside is a pure personal choice. Fumes won’t build up out there. In any case, make sure you have good ventilation in your coop, which you should have anyway for many other reasons than treated wood.

If I had treated wood left over from another project I’d use it. That’s called recycling. Helps your pocketbook and is good for the environment.

Thanks everybody for your replies I appreciate your advice and will take all you said into consideration.

I'm building a 4x8 coop out of all treated wood. I'm sealing it all up with latex paint in and outside (and blackjack on the floor). I want my hard work to last! Also, most wood is now treated with copper, not arsenic. Not nearly as toxic. Good luck with your build!

All of the wood in our coop and run is pressure treated, With the exception of the roost boards the chickens sit on. Works great no visible side effects and no maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom