Is it to late standards to three week old bantams.

PipersPeepers

Chirping
Feb 3, 2023
Hi we have two bantam chicks that are around three weeks old though they look younger and we are hoping to add some standard size chicks. but the bantams are starting to get bigger and they are very energetic so so we are getting worried that they might bully the standard size chicks if we get them. Do you think so? Has anyone done this before successfully?
FA10E1E7-EACE-45DF-AFE5-C1555BC3DB04.jpeg

We don't have much trouble putting all our chicks together..there's going to be bullying and normal pecking order stuff. But all my bantam chicks and my "big hens" they do fine. I normally keep my small chicks separate till they are big enough to make a run for it if needed and they have a large brooder until they are ready to go out and face the grown up chickens on their own.

I think it could probably be done.
Details I would consider:

--lots of space helps. Things to run around or behind help too. That way any chick that is bullied can get away.

--if the young chicks outnumber the older chicks, it is more likely to work.

--if the young chicks are freshly hatched, I would keep them separate until they are stable on their legs, and can run fast.

--I would probably divide the brooder with a piece of hardware cloth or chicken wire, put young chicks on one side and older chicks on the other side, and give them a few days to get used to each other. Then try removing the divider and watch how it goes. Those few days help the chicks start to know each other, let the young ones get a little bigger and more agile, and by then the younger ones have explored their side without being pestered at the same time.

Last edited:
I agree with NatJ, be ready to be able to divide them or separate them entirely-if you are using a brooder plate, you won't be able to let them share the heat source if you need to separate them. If you use a heat lamp, you might be able to divide the brooder right through the middle of the warm spot with some cardboard. Always best to be prepared if things don't work out. Good luck!

Thank you so much I appreciate your help. I was a bit worried that they were too big to add any more chicks.

I agree with NatJ, be ready to be able to divide them or separate them entirely-if you are using a brooder plate, you won't be able to let them share the heat source if you need to separate them. If you use a heat lamp, you might be able to divide the brooder right through the middle of the warm spot with some cardboard. Always best to be prepared if things don't work out. Good luck!
Cardboard under a heat lamp?

The bantams are going to have 3 week old behaviors regardless of their size. So, it could potentially be a problem. Bantams are pretty feisty. Currently, I have bantams and full size in the same brooder, the bantams were a week older than the full size, but I got them all together. The bantams are the feistiest of the bunch!

Back
Top Bottom